Disaster!

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Well, I decided to transfer my two larger (8" disk) motoro's over to another tank last night. I figured they were large enough to compete for food, and not be bugged by their tankmates. These two have been together with a third, smaller motoro since February with no real aggression issues.

I did a water change on the larger tank two days ago. I was doing a water change on the ray tank last night (makes it easier to catch them). I transferred both rays directly to the larger tank (tanks are same temp and same water).

Well, I didn't get a chance to look into the tank this morning before a left for work, but they had done fine for several hours before I went to bed.

I get home from work about 15 minutes ago, and this is what I find. The female motoro looks fine and is acting fine, but the male looks terrible! The edge of his disk is all white and frayed, and the tops of his eyelids are white as well. The edge of his disk is held up off the bottom (not like death curl). Several areas of his disk are VERY frayed, as you can see from the pics. His rear fins are red and tattered as well.

They were transferred from a barebottom tank to a tank with Tahitian Moon Sand as substrate, but the female doesn't seem to have any issues with it, and they were on play sand before going to a barebottom tank.

What do I need to do? I transferred him back to the barebottom tank (fewer tankmates), which just had a water change yesterday, so I know its clean with good params.

Do I need to add any meds, or just focus on water changes? Should I do daily water changes, or just stick to my regular schedule (40% 1x week).

I feel like crap right now...:(

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
did u test ph?

deff some type of disk rot

something stressed him and he got sick

i would just keep up on waterchanges and add salt

Coues

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2010
New Jersey
Wow, that sucks man. Hope he heals up quick for you!

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
vamptrev;4101204; said:
did u test ph?

deff some type of disk rot

something stressed him and he got sick

i would just keep up on waterchanges and add salt

I haven't tested the pH, I will do that. But there shouldn't be anything different between tanks... plus the female is fine.

I'm amazed how bad he got just overnight though...

Coues;4101240; said:
Wow, that sucks man. Hope he heals up quick for you!
Thanks...

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
pH's were nearly identical between tanks (less than 0.1 difference, almost undetectable to my eyes), but both had a waterchange within the last 3 days, so that's to be expected.

I suppose that he could have just been bullied by some of the current inhabitants, but I don't know why they would have singled him out over the female. I'm going to watch her very carefully. Or do you think I should go ahead and move her back as well? She seems to be fine atm...

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Sorry to hear bro. But it does look like fin/disc rot of some sort.

The water can't be the same in each tank, ..... I know it's fromthe same source, but to have same water params , u would need exactly the same filters, exactly the same stocks, and cycled exactly the same time.

It could simply be stressed from moving tanks, which could ave caused the sudden turn in condition.

I would not move it any more and maybe do wc X 2 at 30% per week.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Ade;4101316; said:
Sorry to hear bro. But it does look like fin/disc rot of some sort.

The water can't be the same in each tank, ..... I know it's fromthe same source, but to have same water params , u would need exactly the same filters, exactly the same stocks, and cycledexactpy the same time.
Well I know they're not exactly the same, but they have the same pH, same ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings, and same temp, even though they're filtered differently. But they should be close enough to not make a big difference for transferring fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store