Covering a stingray barb...

arowfan

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
North Jersey
www.stickam.com
Hey guys, out of curiosity, I wanted to know if any of you cover the barbs of your stingrays if they are in ponds w/ liners:what do you use, and how do you do it lol. I ask this because I've heard from a few people that its possible they can puncture the liner...and I will be moving my guys to the pond roughly within a month or so...but wanted some feedback first! Currently they range from 6-8in round-so they are small...

Thanks all!

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I have seen Rays in shops with the barbs covered when they have been imported but I believe it can be a source of infection, I also, personally, do not agree with it.

Either take the risk with the liner OR get the pond fibreglassed.

It seems like you would be doing the same as muzzling a dog all the time

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Just Toby;4104444; said:
I have seen Rays in shops with the barbs covered when they have been imported but I believe it can be a source of infection, I also, personally, do not agree with it.

Either take the risk with the liner OR get the pond fibreglassed.

It seems like you would be doing the same as muzzling a dog all the time
Totally agree Toby.These barbs are connected to the blood supply,when the sheath is removed they often bleed for a while,i took one off once and the smell of rotting tissue was unbearable,these plastic coverings should be removed at once to reduce the chance of infection spreading to the tail.

arowfan

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
North Jersey
www.stickam.com
so what your saying is that my stingray has a chance of getting an infection if that plastic covering is on it (the stingray is WC, and was imported with it on)
oh wow i didn't know that they could cause infection...i was told that it would eventually fall off and not to touch it... from the local breeder

thanks

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
One of my lfs said that they leave them until they fall off but personally I wouldnt buy the ray until it had fallen off or been removed.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Many people do leave them on and they don't always cause a problem,however i personally prefer to do so,i generally add salt to the aquarium once its removed to help the healing process.

arowfan

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
North Jersey
www.stickam.com
ok, so i guess i'll give it a shot this weekend and see how it goes...
are these things generally on there really tight or what? i'm not going to pull if off, rather just hold the cover for a bit, and let him pull a bit i guess, right?

and now im going to play the "what if" game:
what if the barb falls off? is that really bad?

and i've added a little stress coat to my water before when introducing a new ray, i would imagine if the cover comes off, i can add stress and salt...or just do salt?

thanks guys!

Cakilla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Illinois
I honestley have no idea, I have wondered this myself quite a bit lately, my wife wants me to get a couple rays but has been worried thatthey might hurt the other fish or might end up stinging us ...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store