Stingray acclimation...

blonde.for.life

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2009
findlay, ohio
Ok im getting my first ray tomorrow and ive been reading alot and trying to find the best way to acclimate and i came across multiple ways from people who seem to know what theyre talking about but that are totally different and now i dont know what to do. Im afraid im gonna do something wrong. I need opinions please! How do you guys acclimate your rays??

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
I always use the drip method...

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Whilst some say dump it, there cannot be any harm with caution so I would say drip slowly over a good time...maybe test the water in your tank for PH, Nitrate, hardness and temp and then compare to the bag that the ray is in, if they are way out then drip until they seem the same on the next test.

blonde.for.life

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2009
findlay, ohio
Im getting him from Fish in a Bowl in florida..i believe theyve had him for over a month..hes supposed to be here by 10:30..Should i put anything in the water for amonia when i open it?

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
blonde.for.life;4108312; said:
Im getting him from Fish in a Bowl in florida..i believe theyve had him for over a month..hes supposed to be here by 10:30..Should i put anything in the water for amonia when i open it?
Squirt a bit of dechlor in the bag after you open it, perferably a dechlor like prime that neutralizes ammonia. Once you have that done, you can drip or just dump your ray in your tank. I personally just dump my rays in the tank, much more simple.

lincolngoh

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2007
Singapore Serangoon Gdn
Well you could dump it in gently, if the PH, temperature, salinity, oxygen content, hardness, KH are the same and there are no/very low nitrates & nitrites, or you could save yourself the trouble and just acclimatise the ray over half an hour.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
lincolngoh;4108456; said:
Well you could dump it in gently, if the PH, temperature, salinity, oxygen content, hardness, KH are the same and there are no/very low nitrates & nitrites, or you could save yourself the trouble and just acclimatise the ray over half an hour.
+1 IMO

blonde.for.life

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2009
findlay, ohio
Thanks everyone..i ended up putting amonia stuff and water conditioner in the bag and water conditioner in my tank then i started a drip..hes in my tank now, is very active and was hungry right away. He ate a block of bloodworms and quite a few earthworms. His belly is kinda red so from what ive read i assume slight amonia burn..so i just plan to keep my water as near perfect as i can and hope that all goes well from here..

zspidel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Pa
hey good luck with your ray. im picking up my first retic tomorrow. since i dont have any experience with them, you may know more than me, but just throwin it out there that some of that redness may be from your substrate. hope that may help a little and wish me luck too!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store