gar and stingray

zspidel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Pa
i did some searching on stingray tankmates. what i figured that most ppl agreed on is basicall something that wont harass the ray and something large enough that cant be eaten. this same rule pretty much applies for gars. since most gars hang out up top and rays on the bottom, they should make some decent mates correct? or am i wrong. thanks

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I am pretty sure that I have read about gars atacking rays and rays eating gars on here....

Seems to be that if any fish thinks it can fit another fish in its mouth then it will try and eat it....I may be wrong though as forums frequently prove.

zspidel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Pa
Just Toby;4107166; said:
I am pretty sure that I have read about gars atacking rays and rays eating gars on here....

Seems to be that if any fish thinks it can fit another fish in its mouth then it will try and eat it....I may be wrong though as forums frequently prove.

i have gars now and theyre very peaceful. the ray i want is the reticulatas (sp?) at my lfs and its about 5" disc. i know my gar wouldnt eat it. theyre very rarely on the bottom anyway

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I do not have enough experience of either to say yes or know but I am sure that this forum will provide the right answer given time, I expect it will be give it a go and be careful and based on the fact that you have faith in the gars you should be fine....

Good Luck and I hope it works out for you...

zspidel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Pa
thanks, i do love my gars but i when i learned about the stingrays i was hooked. i feel like im up to the challenge. but if they make bad mates, its not worth risking it

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Many people have this combo and it works given size ratio and space...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store