type of sand for rays

zspidel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Pa
just curious as to what all types of sand has worked for your rays. ive done a little research on some sites and ppl use all sorts of types of sand. and i know some of you use gravel. what ype of gravel are you using>? thanks for the ideas

zspidel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Pa
i guess what i shouldve said is can i just buy play sand? either that or i can get some sand off the beach at ocean city, md. that would be ok too right?

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
ive tried both stick to estes it is perfect! get medium brocast. the other sands are a p. i. t. a. and will chew up your pumps/impellers! look for estes at paint stores is where ive found it

zspidel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Pa
ok thanks guys. so i shuold look for the name brand 'estes' and i guess the type would be the ' mediumbrocast'? this is my first try with sand and i def dont wanna ruin my canisters. and it took me a while, but i did get p.i.t.a. haha, i was tryin to figure out what type of sand that is haha thanks keep em comin

zspidel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Pa
and that carib sea gravel looks identical to what i got when i picked up a used tank. so i should be ok with that then

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
I have used pool filter sand in the past. Very cheap, nice looking, and doesnt stick to the discs....

KING1307

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
Ontario
i feel like theres a thousand threads on this already

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store