Update on my rectic

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
Well I got him about a month ago (maybe a little longer) and he had hip bones that stuck out a couple CM and I saw the forehead concave coming on. I have lost two of these guys in the past from starvation, probably internal parasites, so I got pretty discouraged when I saw the concave. But I continued to feed bloodworms 3x per day and the hips and the concave has completely gone away and he is finally getting fat and healthy. :D I don't know why the rectic are the hardest ones to keep but I guess third times a charm for me! Are these guys pretty slow growers compared to the motoro and other rays? Mine is in a standard 55gal right now until he is big enough for the 250gal. Just a little update, thanks for reading!

Hmm...I just realized there is no manage attachment button :( I guess I will post pictures when that is back up and running.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Congrats. Retics (I think) are the hardest to convert to other foods. Mine took a year to convert. Once you get them eating other foods, you'll be good to go. Yes, slow growers. Mine was 4'' in disk diameter when I got it. A year and a half later 5.5''. Maybe because I was feeding it blood worms for the first year, making the growth so slow.

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
Yeah, retics (I always slip an extra "c" in there lol) I haven't had any luck with any food other than bloodworms. What do you have yours eating? How big is he and how long did he take to grow?

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
bahamaqt00;4122798; said:
Yeah, retics (I always slip an extra "c" in there lol) I haven't had any luck with any food other than bloodworms. What do you have yours eating? How big is he and how long did he take to grow?
Edit first post:

I soaked shrimp, silver sides, chopped mussels, and pellets in blood worm juice. It was about 6'' disk when I got rid of it. Was eating mostly shrimp and chopped mussel.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
nice...i have had nothing but bad luck with retics, so i still say should have gone motoro...more so since you have lost 2 in the past already...the retics are "cheaper" to start, but they add up fast when you lose 8 of 10 and the other to are looking like the wanna check out aswell...good luck with yours as most don't have it...the one thing i thought i could escape and that you might is random death...it will find you like a fat kid finds cake...might take a little while, but at some point he will find the cake...

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
Yeah I didn't get him because of the price. Around here I can get a motoro for only like $40 more so it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I just wanted something that would be able to stay in my 55gal for a little bit longer. And I also have faith that I can keep one successfully so I was wanting to try my hand at it one more time before I give up on retics. I hope he doesn't "randomly die" He seems to be doing great so I am keeping my hopes up : )

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Ah....He's/shes looking good.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
bahamaqt00;4124667; said:
Yeah I didn't get him because of the price. Around here I can get a motoro for only like $40 more so it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I just wanted something that would be able to stay in my 55gal for a little bit longer. And I also have faith that I can keep one successfully so I was wanting to try my hand at it one more time before I give up on retics. I hope he doesn't "randomly die" He seems to be doing great so I am keeping my hopes up : )
up here motoros are around $150 for a start and i have see a 5" disc for $300:screwy: that was a reg. motoro...i hope the best for your ray, but from my exp and many many others he will find the cake...

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
i have 2 retics, male and female.

i think the big problem stems from ppl not taking care of them properly cuz they are cheaper, and because of their price, they are not properly cared for when caught, prepared and transported. many come with problems and parasites and die quickly once they are attained by keepers, thus making the keeper not want to try again and shy away from them.

mine were cared for, for months by the LFS. he had them eating a variety of foods before i'd even purchased them. even so, i'm finding it impossible to get them to eat pellets, or certain types of foods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store