New Motoro Stingray

Novaman1967

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Ontario Canada
Hey guys:

I have had my new addition a male motoro stingray for a week now, he seemed really active the first couple of days. Now he moves a bit burrys himself in the sand, which i know is normal for rays, but he sits there for hours not moving. He is breathing, and if you go near him with anything, i have a feeding stick i use to put worms and other creatures on and put in the tank near him, he moves his eyes so he is alive and breathing.

Is this normal behavior,should i worry, i put some food in for him last nite before hitting the sack, and he did eat it during the nite.

I am getting a female motoro for his company any day now, just wating on deleviery to the shop. Will this help perk him up.

I have had aquariums for years but stingrays are new to me, so hence the questions. Hopefully some of you experts on rays can shed some lite for me!!

Thanks ANdy

sixpack_ey

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Louisiana
Mine burries himself for hours at a time a lot during the day. I think thats pretty normal, especially at first. But, not eating at night might be a sign something is wrong, could be just stressed out. He's still new and getting used to the environment. How is the water testing?

Novaman1967

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Ontario Canada
Ok i will hold of on getting a female, but is it normal for them to behave like this, its only been 6 days since i got him. He is eating, but not feverisly like ever site says rays should. I put my hand into feed him, and just a few mintues ago and he did not want anything, but when i gently poke him under his side he move around the tank, and just burried himself again. I can see him breathing and moving his eyes.

Regards Andy

Novaman1967

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Ontario Canada
He is eating at nite, i put some feeders in last nite and one or two of them were gone this morning. THe feeders i am using come from my friends petshop and he medicates the tank with special medicine before anyone gets them. So i know they are good feeders.

Ph is 6.6, no nitrites, very little ammonia, and water temp is 80 F

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
Why are you poking your ray? They're known to not move much while they acclimate to your tank. Another thing is, you really should stop feeding feeders. No store is going to waste $20 on prazi and metro just to treat a tank full of 5 cent feeders every time they get a new shipment of feeders in. Even if they actually did, these thiaminase filled junk do more harm than good. Do your ray a favor and buy yourself some worms...

6floord

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2008
Manila
seems normal...my 5" took about 3 weeks to become somewhat active. Other tankmates may be more dominant in the tank and stressing him out. The pup will bury himself for security. IMO, as long as he's eating and not breathing hard, he's ok. Keep the lights off.

Novaman1967

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Ontario Canada
Ok, i will stop feeding him feeders, he likes live worms which i can get at my local bait shop, are they ok, or should i get them from local pet shop?? He is in the tank by himself right now, dont want to add any tankmates till he gets accustomed to the tank. Also got some frozen silverfish which is good for sharks and rays he likes that too.

I did not actually poke him, i kinda nudged him to make sure he was ok,just a bit nervous and worried, never had rays before.

THanks for all info so far guys.

Regards Novaman

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
Worms from baitshop are good. Those are the ones you should be feeding for now to pack on some weight. Whatever he eats, just start packing him with it, other than feeders i mean. The first week is critical to have your ray eating well.

Novaman1967

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Ontario Canada
Ok, he ate good last nite, the wife and i were watching TV late and he started searching around the tank like crazy, so i gave him a few worms and some frozen silverfish (made for rays and sharks) he ate it up and was quite content afterwards, went around the tank a bit and then burried himself in the sand. So he is eating ok, mostly at nite and is breathing normal, not laboured or anything like that, so i am sure he will become more active in the days to follow, its been exactly one week today since i got him in the tank.

Regards Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store