Ray tank filtration set up.

waymoz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2008
melbourne, australia
Hey guys, just a few questions about filtration set up.
I'm currently running a 6x2x2 tank with a Eheim Classic 2260.
My question is, with the filter outlet, which way and at what angle should I point it, that would be best suitable for a sting ray tank?

At the moment I've got it pointing parallel to the water surface, which is about 4cm above the outlet. My reasoning behind this was to create surface agitation to aerate the water. I'm thinking about maybe pointing it down to get a stronger water current across the bottom of the tank.

Just out of curiosity, how have you guys got your filter outlet set up, and what would you guys recommend and why?

zspidel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Pa
im not real familiar with the ehiems and their flow, but i can let you know how my tank is set up. im running 2 rena xp4's with both intake tubes at the opposite ends of the tank and the return tubes set in the middle of the tank. i use the power nozzle for a stronger flow of water. i angled the nozzles (eyeball'd it, i didnt get real particular or exact) so the hits the front side of the tank at the top of the water, then flows down and outward towards the intake tubes

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
will deff be better pointed at the surface to create good o2 exchange

waymoz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2008
melbourne, australia
I'm also noticing a 'dead spot' on the bottom of the tank, will that be an issue? I'm always getting different opinions. Lol it's either, 'you need some quiet spots where they can rest' or 'if you have dead spots your filtration isn't doing it's job.' another question I have now, filter outlet from back of tank spraying against front of tank or from side of tank spraying into the middle (looks better because you don't see much of the outlet from the front).

SpeshulEd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
For my 450, I used the lockline stuff, but I'm sure pvc would have done the trick. I split each side so one aims at the back corner and one shoots across the water for each side of the tank. There are three overflows spaced along the back.

I then have hydor koralia 4's above each lockline in the corners pushing water to the middle of the tank.

This seems to work to keep all my debris problems taken care of. There are slower moving areas of the tank for the fish to rest, but I find a lot of mine like to swim in the current.

Basically, I'd suggest some form of powerhead, if the one return isn't cutting it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store