Little Snails

mad_elf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2010
fife
Hi guys,on inspecting my ray this mornig i found that there is little tiny snails in the tank,i know these are bad for my tank,any suggestions on gettings rid of them?think i got them off the live blood worm i have been feeding my retic

Tifftastic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Assassin Snails, will eat other snails.
Snails are bad if they are overpopulated and cause problems with nitrate concentration.
Cucumber, lettuce, carrot or broccoli in a plastic bottle overnight should do the trick. Pull the bottle out in the morning, freeze and trash. Freezing will prevent live snails from possibly entering waterways.
To prevent overpopulation, feed less and gravel vac more.

mad_elf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2010
fife
could i not get any kind of treatment to put in the water or anything to get rid of them?will they harm my ray in any way?

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Copper-based treatments will only harm your fish. Add the dead snails on the bill and you'll find your water fouling up as a result of countless number of dead snails scattered around.

mad_elf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2010
fife
so no treatments then,i have never had snails before and i am just a little worried about them takin over the tank

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member

mad_elf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2010
fife
does any1 know if i was to put a loach in my tank to get rid of the snails wat the best kind would b?and if it would b ok to put in beside my ray?

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Clown loaches will eat snails but I think unless you have a large group they may not keep up (clowns should be kept in groups anyway) BUT if you look at the size of the "tusks" on a 4inch clown loach you might worry about what might happen if the Rays eat them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store