breeding Hystrix rays

digger

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2008
chicago
I have 1 male and 2 female Hystrix. The male is about to roll.
I have heard that getting Hystrix to breed seems to be fairly difficult. What I want to know is what this is based on and why. Also people who have bred them before did you need to take any specific steps to get them to breed ie temp changes, water changes or amounts, things of that nature. I really would like to see some pups in the future.

Big Daves Rays

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2006
Seattle WA
I had 2 females and a male. I kept them separate from any other rays. To breed them would be like any other ray. Varied diet, excellent water quality, time. I never did anything special to trigger mating. It usually happens in evening or night and it will happen when they are both ready. First time they bred was when the females reached about 13" or so. The male was smaller, maybe 10-11" He actually impregnated a female motoro first when I pulled him away from the Histrix females and put him in with my motoro's till the Histrix healed up.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Big Daves Rays;4129099; said:
I had 2 females and a male. I kept them separate from any other rays. To breed them would be like any other ray. Varied diet, excellent water quality, time. I never did anything special to trigger mating. It usually happens in evening or night and it will happen when they are both ready. First time they bred was when the females reached about 13" or so. The male was smaller, maybe 10-11" He actually impregnated a female motoro first when I pulled him away from the Histrix females and put him in with my motoro's till the Histrix healed up.
I would agree with this.........good advise!

digger

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2008
chicago
I've kept them strictly on massivore. Water quality good 0-0-40,50.Their not quite at that size but close. I'm hoping to see something happen within the year.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
my male is about 7-8" and starting to roll, and my female is 10" + i too am hoping to see some action shortly.. It would be nice to see some CB hystrix around... GL

digger

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2008
chicago
keepinfish;4133847; said:
my male is about 7-8" and starting to roll, and my female is 10" + i too am hoping to see some action shortly.. It would be nice to see some CB hystrix around... GL
Thanks I hope you get some as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store