Dogface Puffers?

Springtyme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Bethlehem & Philadelphia, PA
I was at a LFS yesterday and they had Dogfaced Puffers.Llet me tell you that this thing was 1/2 the cutest and 1/2 the ugliest thing I've ever seen!! I looked them up on google and it seems they come in all different colors and designs. The one I saw was a yellowish/greenish color and it looked like it could and wanted to chomp through my fingers. Anyone on here own these or have owned these in the past? I'm just curious what they're like as pets! :feedback:

Nate_N_Nicole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Flat Rock, Mi
I had one unfortunatly he didnt make it and I hear there one of the harder ones to keep if you dont have a well established tank... Well anyways I went with a porupine puffer and he is great and has the same personality as the dogface did so if your tank is in really good shape go for it...

P.S. He will eat everything he can fit in his mouth and most corals (just a heads up)

here's a couple pic's of my puff daddy :headbang2

Puffer, Humma, Niger.jpg

Bursa Trigger &  Puffer.jpg

View attachment 1114073

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Check out general discussion, dangerous fish tread, they eat every thing including fingers

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
i consider them the oscars of saltwater!!!

very very alike!

iheartfishies

Im Angie
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Northern VA
vvvp.dynu.com
OMG I WANT A PORCUPINE PUFFER.:hearts:

Dogfaced are ****ing cute too!!

Porcupines are my fav though.

Cute little guy ...how big is he in that pic?

N2Cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
San Diego
i have a dogface, and a stars and stripes puffer (although he's lacking both the stars and the stripes.) they are fabulous. they're very docile creatures, and will actually come up to the tank and beg for food. so, you have to be careful not to overfeed. i love them, but they're so humanlike in appearance i can tell you, losing one is devastating. :shakehead

Doc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
NH
www.docsden.com
I think the young(sub 4") dogfaces are spastic dangerous toddlers with the ability to turn just about anything into swiss cheese. Dogfaces are a bit of a PIA sometimes, there beaks can be points of health concerns, as well as they are more prone to infection from what I've seen.

N2Cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
San Diego
mine have been sturdy, and started out small. they mostly perch on the highest or lowest surface they can find. but you can definitely get bit. i hand feed them with a wooden skewer. heh. you just can't expect to do alot of in-tank work. if it's set up well in the beginning, you won't need to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store