Freebies-cold water

Status
Not open for further replies.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Freebie-,,, If you are running a cold water tank and want one or two I can send you northern pike minnows(squawfish) or sturgeons(spp?) the minnows are predadeous and are between 8" and 18" on any given day, the sturgeons are between 24" and 48". You pay shipping. Let me know and I go catch some for you.

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
how much for a stergon shipped
24" is the smallest u can catch?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
I don't Know how much it would cost to ship one. 24" is the smallest I can keep on my sport liscence, I usually toss them back. I also just found out that if you go thru your local college you can get state hatcheries to send you lampreys for mailing cost. As far as the stuurgeeon goes I am thinking a12"x36" pvc tube over pressured with O2 and sealed. If you or anyone else knows any better way please let me know. I used to use milk jugs but they are now relally pricey and anyway to small. As far as cost goes the tube would add into the overnight shipping cost. The fish would be free, I just like to catch them. I just looked up the sturgeons from this area in an old axelrod's atlas and a state sponsered site, They are white sturgeon(Acipenser transmontanus) andthey live 80+ years. They also reach 20' long and 500 kilos. according to axelrod they are slow growing and not fussy about ph., salinity, hardness, or clarity. My exp. suggest you need well aireated water. yeah mispelled, give me a break. Point is, yes that is as small asis legal and I have no idea what it would cost to ship.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
Any advice on how to ship big fish cheap/safe would be welcomed, used to be able to use MAC flights for $10 a cubic yard but rules have changed.

Caveman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2005
Washington State
We have some nice sized sturgeon up here in WA state rarely ever see them below 4 feet. If I could catch some smaller size ones like 18" or so I would keep them until they got to big then release them back into the river.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
Try using a slider rig, #2 hook, and worms for bait. I lived in Aberdeen, Wa. from 1972-74 and only caught one sturgeon out of the Chehalis where it meets the Wynoochee, it measured 80", I was so frustrated that I stopped trying to catch them until last year. Check out your local hatcheries as they used to give out free lampeys, grammarus, and seed shrimp to anyone who arranged to come out while they were cleaning thier growout runs.

Caveman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2005
Washington State
I have never fished where the Wynochee river feeds into the Chehalis. I usually fish near the Chehalis River bridge near where the Wishkah feeds into the Chehalis. I am gonna have to go out and try where the Wynochee feeds into the Chehalis. You lived in Aberdeen long before I was ever born.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
lol, There used to be a colony of fiddler crabs on Johns river on the way to Westport, who knows how they got there. If you want lampreys just ask at Aberdeen Lake hatchery, I have a recipe for them. If you want some filter feeding lamprey young go to Grays Harbor C.C> in southside Aberdeen, The little lake behind the college used to contain some dynomite native cuts. Westport is still a good place to pokepole for greenlings and monkeyface, and you might get lucky and catch a wolf eel. If I can find it I will send you a copy of an essay called A Day At The Beach, true story, happened in 86.

Caveman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2005
Washington State
HAHA, I know of all the places you are talking about. The lake by the college is Lake Swano, I actually grew up on the South Side of Aberdeen. I have never heard of anyone eating lampreys but it must taste good if people do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store