new tank

alp_1023

Feeder Fish
May 20, 2005
I've always wanted to set up my own saltwater tank.....how hard is it?
I would like a reef tank.

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
not hard, gets kinda expensive

it cycles a little longer

i think that the challange make it more interesting

plus u have an 4 oceans of fish to choose from :headbang2

the sky is the limit..... the ocean is the limit!

N2Cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
San Diego
bluedempsey said:
the sky is the limit..... the ocean is the limit!
the $$$ has no limit. hehehe

they're great...not too hard if you cycle with live rock, you find some amazing things come in on them. but populating the tank gets really pricey really fast. corals aren't the most hearty of creatures either. lighting is crucial. even so, i love mine. :hearts:

Mattcomptonassvanhorn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2005
Wichita,Ks
Bluedemp no offense but you can keep anything in an 800 gallon, I saw your pictures: Emperor angelfish, Powder Blue tang. I mean come on man I cant put any of those fish in my 55, or they just die! So dont tell these people that saltwaters easy. How often do you do water changes? yeah I know zero, all you have to do is change out your filters. I would like to see you keep an emperor in anything smaller than a 100. :swear:

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
Mattcomptonassvanhorn said:
Bluedemp no offense but you can keep anything in an 800 gallon, I saw your pictures: Emperor angelfish, Powder Blue tang. I mean come on man I cant put any of those fish in my 55, or they just die! So dont tell these people that saltwaters easy. How often do you do water changes? yeah I know zero, all you have to do is change out your filters. I would like to see you keep an emperor in anything smaller than a 100. :swear:
well i own a saltwater store....
i want to see u try to clean, change water , feed, and so on, i'm the only employee, and there's about........ 40 plus tanks
i'm just saying once it's done cycling... it's comparible to freshwater
it's just alot of people rush to get fish in the water!!!!
:headshake

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
I would like to see you keep an emperor in anything smaller than a 100. :swear:[/QUOTE]

it could be done. they grow very slow, " i feed my 3 times a day and a s**tload"
i have had my for well i don't remember but aleast 2yrs .
it was in a 58 gal for a yr and a half.
i got it at 1.5 inch it is now 6.5 or 7.0 inchs

so it could be done for a while maybe not it's entire life
the tank so grow with the fish :)

Mattcomptonassvanhorn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2005
Wichita,Ks
What Im trying to say is starting a new reef tank is fairly easy,but when it comes to keeping picky fish in a new tamk it gets difficult. :shakehead
Also my bad for blowin up I just recently lost an emperor that cost me a preety penny. :headbang2

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
Mattcomptonassvanhorn said:
What Im trying to say is starting a new reef tank is fairly easy,but when it comes to keeping picky fish in a new tamk it gets difficult. :shakehead
Also my bad for blowin up I just recently lost an emperor that cost me a preety penny. :headbang2
y did your angel die?

Mattcomptonassvanhorn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2005
Wichita,Ks
well I put him in there and the first week was pretty easy. He ate first day I put em in. Well then things got bad, his fins started to deteriate and began to stop eating. I tryed everything, freshwater baths, comercial remedies, nothing helped and by the second day it started it died

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store