Black shark

-Sinatra-

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2008
alberta
I was curious if anyone has had luck or has an opinion on keeping these fish with stingrays, I have an oportunity to get one around 13". I'm not worried about any of my other fish I know they can hold their own against most fish but I am worried about my rays. Any help would be apretiated.

fishfreak2009

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Michigan
I wouldn't. My old black shark was started killing tankmates at 14 inches, and by 16 inches he had killed a male dovii, 2 oscar, a red devil, and a very large synodontis. He even killed a 2 foot pleco! They just come in at night and chew holes into the sides of other fish or rip the gills off (what it did to the cichlids). With catfish it ate out the eyes and then went for the soft belly. The only thing it would live with were tiny things like feeder guppies or neons... Ended up putting it in a 40 gallon (I was 13 at the time) with my old BP that had a meanstreak. She killed it in one night.

Novaman1967

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Ontario Canada
I agree, i have a black shark in a 80 gallon tank, and he is so territorial its unbelievable he is constantly chasing tank mates away. Very agressive fish, i would think he would stress out your ray, seeing he is also a bottom dweller.

Hope this helps.

Regards Novaman

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
I have to imagine, in the wild, a nice row of dead fish all along a river bed. Add to that one black shark in the corner of a river bend trying to mutilate a hapless beer bottle and already eying the nearest boulder as a foe. Not a fish for the aquarium unless kept alone. And then still difficult to observe without getting dizzy.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
I agree with all the guys so far.
Primerily a vegetarian these fish have a mouth for rasping algae,unfortunately they have a love for body mucus too attacking slow and slab sided larger fish at will.These large sharks can be kept in an aquarium housing "small" fast moving barbs etc,these prove too small and fast for them to make a purchase plus a large shoal of small fish confuses the chase......regarding keeping with Rays its a very big no no from me!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store