Three caves i made.

Josh the Happy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
SC
My loaches are outgrowing their current caves and i saw several on here
that gave me this idea:

Two small and one large mason jars painted black with krylon fusion to keep it dark and cozy. Silicon holds the gravel on nicely, but i accidentally purchased a white tube (instead of two clear.) Since the white sticks out so much i will likely be adding second layer with the clear.
IMG_0024.JPG

Will show more after next layer and tank shots.

Josh the Happy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
SC
They really look a lot better without the white showing through.
Going to let them sit for two days, then soak/rinse for another day.
IMG_0025.JPG

Josh the Happy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
SC
And before some one asks: yes that is a leather-top desk that i got silicone all over - luckily it peels right off.

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
wonder if I can do that on a lrger scale for my Endy Bichir, great idea !!

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
What happened to the handle lol. I hate when you get a tube of silicone and it backfires and gets all over.

Looks good, I thought the first pic was the end result though. I may have laughed a little at first. :)

Richies^Ghost

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2010
Sydney
Bummer about the case - could have been worse though, you could have gotten it on your jeans and gone out in public. Try explaining that one to the police :p

I think your caves would look a little better if you put some gravel around the inside entry - it will hide the black plastic, and your loaches might enjoy having a snug doorway to their home ;)

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
they kind of remind me of nut covered doughnuts... good idea though

Josh the Happy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
SC
Richies^Ghost;4202491; said:
Bummer about the case - could have been worse though, you could have gotten it on your jeans and gone out in public. Try explaining that one to the police :p

I think your caves would look a little better if you put some gravel around the inside entry - it will hide the black plastic, and your loaches might enjoy having a snug doorway to their home ;)
The bottom of the caves will be in the gravel, so the inside entry will be covered slightly. I plan to set them as deep into the gravel as long as it allows the largest clown loach entrance and egress. The top half of the entry is coated. The glass makes for a really smooth surface inside the cave.

I used non latex exam gloves (almost always do for projects) and smeared it evenly and generously all over the jar (thus all over the handle.) I tried the press & roll method and pouring the gravel over the silicon. The press and roll worked much better. Having a shallow container 2"-3" full of gravel is ideal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store