ques bout groupers

BAYOU boy 437

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
louisana
hi guys i was thinkin about purchasing a grouper for my sw tank but wat species will live in a 55 or how long could a grouper last in a 55 i plan on gettin a 300 by the end of august or september :confused:

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Rule of thumb is that usually buy the tank before you buy the fish. Sometimes things come up that will put off a tank upgrade. I have bought a lot of fish that I was planning on upgrading for in the near future. More often than not they ended up not getting the upgrade as soon as they should. Do some research on what groupers you like, and when you setup the 300 do it with that fish in mind.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
listen to theCanuck, he's the man to go to about preds in my opinion, i may know more about comunity/reefs then he does, but i have yet to talk to anyone who knows more about preds then him (though its possible others could give as good advice haha).

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Kevin8888;4208321; said:
listen to theCanuck, he's the man to go to about preds in my opinion, i may know more about comunity/reefs then he does, but i have yet to talk to anyone who knows more about preds then him (though its possible others could give as good advice haha).
:)

I have been doing some more research on my community fish. I rescued this sailfin tang that has its top chewed off, and fell in love with him. He swims up to my hand and rubs on my hand and takes algae from my fingers. Easily the smartest fish i have even owned.

If your only going to be upgrading to a 300 stick with groupers that don't max out over 24 inches. The blueline will max at 12-14, miniatus at 18, and clown 16 or so. These are all beautiful groupers with the aggression to be classified as a predator. They are pigs, and will eat anything.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
lilcorky04;4210806; said:
The blueline will smoke the mininatus if anything is to happen IMO.
actually a miniatus would most likely win. Once again though, i don't know why you get so excited about fish fighting... i mean wtf dude your a grown man. The miniatus claims a certain part of a tank and sticks with it. A blue line will travel all over the tank, he may have a general side or area, but not like the miniatus. The miniatus would come out of its "place" and attack the blueline, and dart back. Using its house for "home advantage". Once again though, it depends on the PERSONAL fish, and no outcome would ever be the same. You really need to quit the childish comments that are not even correct.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store