Life span of a aquarium?

Newfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2010
Canada
I am looking at a used 108 gallon, its 19 years old. Anyone have any idea how long a tank will last without leaking? Would you buy this tank or is it too old?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
There is no real life span for aquariums. You just have to look at the seams and make a judgment call about whether you trust it or not.

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
my tank is about 15 years old and its holding up just fine. my only worry would be if the tank has been dry for years and years. I imagine (but could be wrong) that the silicon could dry out. if it does leak, replace the silicon. you got another 20 years of enjoyment. its not like the glass is gonna get old. at least not in our lifetimes.

GhostShrimpMan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2010
Brownsville, Texas
Pharaoh;4212861; said:
There is no real life span for aquariums. You just have to look at the seams and make a judgment call about whether you trust it or not.
:iagree:

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
My 150 gallon tank is atleast 30 years old. Custom built back in the late 70's and still going strong. Got it from my grandmothers former neighbor.

never needed resealing the silicone was waaay overkill on it though lol.

Conor1148

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2010
US
my 20 gallon is over 25 years old, it was my dads in college.

it had sat in a tractor shed holding dirt, and gardening tools for about 10 years. i resealed it and scrubbed it with some vinegar. if you saw it, you wouldnt believe how old it is.

laurarichard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2009
MI
pcfriedrich;4212967; said:
my tank is about 15 years old and its holding up just fine. my only worry would be if the tank has been dry for years and years. I imagine (but could be wrong) that the silicon could dry out. if it does leak, replace the silicon. you got another 20 years of enjoyment. its not like the glass is gonna get old. at least not in our lifetimes.
Thats what i would have typed lol Agreed

laurarichard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2009
MI
my dad has tanks that are 20 years old or more and they look new.....well not BRAND new but fairly new

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store