Seeing movement!!!

grapedinox

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Spokane Wa
I have had my rays now for about 3 years (reticulated) yes I know just ugly brown rays but I love them!!. I had 2 females and 1 male but recently lost one of my females. She was never healthy could never get her to gain weight I tried everything. While the other 2 kept growing she did not. Anyway as of tonight I see alot of movement in my female! She has been eating alot and has been pretty active. Anyway I had no idea that she was even carrying pups but there is no denying the movement. My question is this they are in a community tank with alot of other tank mates they have always been very passive but when and if I have pups born will they leave the babies alone? Not really worried about the parents I am more worried about the other fish. They are in a 9x4x2 tank, and I have a 180 gal sump with excellent filtration, heat, lighting, and food. Nobody ever picks on anybody but now with babies on the way I am worried. I have not a clue how far along she could be....but the movement I am seeing is pretty substantial so I am thinking she can't be that far off. Since I spend most of my time seeing my rays from above the water and not through the veiwing part I guess I just hadn't noticed how big she was getting. She is about 11 inches in disc and dad is around 9.5 or so and has been fully mature for about 8 months now. Does anybody have any idea what I can expect?

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Probably the best thing would be to fashion a divider out of eggcrate so you can put the female at one end of the tank, and every body else on the other side. She shouldn't need too much room, and this will make sure you don't stress her out by moving her to another tank, but the other fish won't be able to get to any pups she has.

Good luck with the pregnancy, I hope everything goes well! We don't see very many captive bred retic's on here.

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
first of all congrats!! they should be really soon if you are seeing alot of movements so keep the updates coming. and the barrier idea is best so you dont stress her out. also make sure you lift it to let her out after the pups are born. that way she wont harm them either

grapedinox

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Spokane Wa
I am not sure how I am going to get any kind of barrier in there......tank is 4 feet deep and is center plumbed with 2 towers in the middle of the tank. Hmmmmm I may have to think about this a bit more. How often do the other rays hurt their own pups?

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Congrats,hope everything goes well for you.
Strange shaped tank will give you problems with the divider,its 4ft high x2ft wide?
I think the eggcrate idea is the best option and is easy to cut to size and shape.
What are the other tankmates?

Good luck

Steve

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
x2 zip tie some eggcrate together if its not big enough that way waste and water flows through. then just wedge it in there. on one side i would prolly give a 1/4 of the tank to them depending on length. also im not sure how often but its a possibility. it will be good to get them eating on there own before introducing them to the rest and it would be best to have a grow out tank if possible. such a large tank it will be hard for the pups to find food.
good luck

grapedinox

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Spokane Wa
I have no other tanks for a grow out. The other tank mates are clown loaches, silver dollars, tin foil barbs, rainbows, bala sharks, yeah I know I have a whole mass of different fish in there. May just have to give Miles a jingle.....he raysat for me at his house while I moved in to my new house a few years ago. Maybe he can help me fashion something. Tank is 9 feet long 28 inches high and 4 feet deep, withh center plumbing. Even more movement today, I think there is maybe only one pup which would be good since it will be her first litter I see movement only on her left side. I am so excited!!!

grapedinox

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Spokane Wa
In my profile there is a picture of my tank, and my ray's the biggest one is the pregnant female (tundra) LOL

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I have had a look at your pic and you could easily lean the egg crate divider (or drilled plexiglass - fish safe) against one of your towers and then zip tie it to the tower and maybe add some smooth pebbles to either side of the base.

Congrats on the movement, it is nice to hear of some retics doing well for once, hopefully you can replace some of the imports that die!

grapedinox

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
Spokane Wa
I hate hearing how poorly the retics are treated. Mine are surely spoiled. The big tank was just for them! I love them to death. Of course the Leo's and Histrix are nice too but for some reason the little retic's have my heart. Can't wait for a baby or two, she is acting a bit antsy. As far as I can tell there is only movement on one side of her. I will head to homedepot tomorrow and give Miles a call and see what the 2 of us can come up with. Thanks for the advice guys. I will post pictures if and when the blessed even happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store