Yellow Tail Arowana

Helangkawi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2010
Malaysia
Good day guys,

hi i am new in this monster fish forum, greetings to all :headbang2

firstly, after i do some internet reading, to gain a knowledge about arowanas, it lead me to this website:D

so after i got all the information required to breed a baby arowana, i bought an Asian yellow tail arowana on 19/6/2010

here in Malaysia, yellow tail arowana is about in the same price range as green arowana (around 37 USD for 1.5 inch)

silver aro->pearl/jardini aro-->yellow tail/green aro-->banjar red (half-red)-->red,chili red, super red, red blood,gold, golden blue and so on

i use 2 ft tank, about 3/4 water inside the tank, using a small sponge filter and also i put a baby municipal fish (about 1 inch) as the tank cleaner

so far he's doing quiet good, not so very like to eat blood worm, he's more like to catch moving fish...maybe about 3-4 fishes for his mealtime...it is fine is it?

here is the pictures

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
Nice fish man! Post more pics when he gets bigger!

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
Hi Welcome. Nice aro. 2ft tank. You do have a bigger one for in about 3 months don't you?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Nice little guy, here in the U.S. they are illegal. So I have never had one myself, just black and silver aros.

Helangkawi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2010
Malaysia
we4wieners;4227764; said:
Nice fish man! Post more pics when he gets bigger!

sure man, but it will be in the next 2 months if nothing going wrong..ooohhh..so afraid if something happen to her as she's still inside fragile stage

Hao;4227773; said:
thanks man :hail:

classic-chassis;4227775; said:
Hi Welcome. Nice aro. 2ft tank. You do have a bigger one for in about 3 months don't you?
hi man

i think for about next 3 months, it should grow until 5-7 inches? Still can be put inside 2ft tank right? or better to get 4 ft tank?

Helangkawi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2010
Malaysia
Bderick67;4227790; said:
Nice little guy, here in the U.S. they are illegal. So I have never had one myself, just black and silver aros.

thanks man, yeah hopefully this tiny little guy will grow up fast :D

owh, may i ask why it was illegal is the United State? is it because of this kind of arowana one of protected species?

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
Helangkawi;4227794; said:
i think for about next 3 months, it should grow until 5-7 inches? Still can be put inside 2ft tank right? or better to get 4 ft tank?
For the next few months it will be OK where it is, but you're going to have to put it in a big tank before long. Within a year your fish is going to be 10 to 12 inches, in 2 years it'll be around 20 inches.
The ideal rule of thumb is 3 times the length of the fish long, and the same length of the fish wide.

Helangkawi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2010
Malaysia
classic-chassis;4227874; said:
For the next few months it will be OK where it is, but you're going to have to put it in a big tank before long. Within a year your fish is going to be 10 to 12 inches, in 2 years it'll be around 20 inches.
The ideal rule of thumb is 3 times the length of the fish long, and the same length of the fish wide.

owh ic...thanks for the info man, now it just about 1.5" later on when she grow up, that rule of thumb will be followed:D

and also, it is ok to feed this little guy with live small fishes? as she looks like not so very interested with blood worm

i bough a pack of blood worm, and from 1 cube i cut it to become 4 pieces..for meal time, i will give her 1/4 of that pieces...but she just ate a little bit of it, the rest of the blood worm just fall to the bottom of the tank

i thought for baby arowana it is better to feed it with blood worm right?

bigblue22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2010
USA
good grief an arowana in a 2 foot tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store