picking preds...

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land
so my old thread got no responses except for kevin8888 and he suggested i start a new one with this title

So ive decided im not going to bother with the 37 gallon and im going to go ]l[onster :headbang2(for my apartment at least) :D

im looking for a used tank as i type, probably btwn 90 and 120 gallons

most prob. getting 160 lbs of live sand from a guy i know

fish im interested in, but not going to get all of em if its too much

porcupine puffer

trigger (not sure what kind yet)

eel (not sure what kind yet)

and an angler (not sure what kind yet or if it is compatible with the others due to its "lure" attracting the other fish)

btw im planning on getting them all as juvies to grow them up together

growth rates of each fish would be very helpful as would how big to get each one

any other suggestions would be great :)

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land
oh and yesterday i hit up a couple of lfs's and the porcupine puffers were shy beyond belief, they were just hiding in the corner facing the back of the tank

on the other hand there was a really cool niger trigger who i was actually PLAYING with
i was playing with a fish, more than just my oscar following my finger for food, the guy was like bringing his head out of the water, biting me through the glass, and spitting water at me

so the trigger ive decided on is a niger whos about 4 or 5 inches

what suggestions do you guys have?

:popcorn:

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
i dont like ur avatar but i will put aside our diffrences. I say u just get a BUNCH of trigger fish. Never seen a tank like that i think that would be very very cool. Just have a nice setup and that would look drop dead amazing.

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land
Zfishies;4235200; said:
i dont like ur avatar but i will put aside our diffrences. I say u just get a BUNCH of trigger fish. Never seen a tank like that i think that would be very very cool. Just have a nice setup and that would look drop dead amazing.

pshh you dont like kobe? your location says la, regardless your avatar is pretty funny

hmm i havent thought of that

feeding time would probably be awesome :D

BAYOU boy 437

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
louisana
i always say nuthin like a nice grouper or two.my favs are blueline and miniutaus... maybe some time of snapperlike a emperor snapper.
nd im diggin the vibe of a tank full of triggers tht would be so balla
:popcorn: hope u like my input

Plec123

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2009
North Jersey
i love triggers. i say go with a clown and treat it like a true pet & friend. i played with a clown for more than 5mins at my lfs, he never lost interest in me and followed me as i circled around his ~250gal, 4' diameter cylindrical tank. he was awesome! too bad i dont have a big enough tank for a trigger.

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land
thanks for all the input everybody

groupers are cool, but the ones ive seen were a bit on the shy side...

emperor snappers are really cool too, but they get ENORMOUS

the place i volunteer at has one thats definitely over 2 feet

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
a tank full of triggers, wouldnt that be nice.... for a couple months maybe even a year, but then the most advanced would mature a little bit and slaughter the tank lol, on top of that a 120 isnt large enough to house 90% of the kinds of triggers as most get somewhere around 18" some smaller some much larger. your best bet for a trigger would be a bursa (Aggro) or a sargassum or bluejaw. they stay in the 8 to 10" range a porc puffer would get way too large, you could go with a g. tile or a snowflake for an eel, and anglers are best left to species tanks most def. dont put one with a trigger as triggers are known to go after flowing fins and such. there is a great thread on triggers and lionfish in reefcentral.com in the aggressive fish only category, same info goes for reason not to put an angler with a trigger.

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
dont get me wrong there are people that keep multiple triggers in community settings but most are still only 4-6 inches in length and are in 300+ gallon tanks.

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land
perfect_prefect;4235986; said:
a tank full of triggers, wouldnt that be nice.... for a couple months maybe even a year, but then the most advanced would mature a little bit and slaughter the tank lol, on top of that a 120 isnt large enough to house 90% of the kinds of triggers as most get somewhere around 18" some smaller some much larger. your best bet for a trigger would be a bursa (Aggro) or a sargassum or bluejaw. they stay in the 8 to 10" range a porc puffer would get way too large, you could go with a g. tile or a snowflake for an eel, and anglers are best left to species tanks most def. dont put one with a trigger as triggers are known to go after flowing fins and such. there is a great thread on triggers and lionfish in reefcentral.com in the aggressive fish only category, same info goes for reason not to put an angler with a trigger.
no worries, im here to learn

about triggers: the niger, redtail, pinktail, both humu's, undulate, and the bursa all stay at around a foot max don't they?

and a porc gets too big for a 4' x 2' x 25" 120 gallon?

yeah im considering a snowflake, but what about a green wolf or something not as common?
I dont want anything too expensive as I'm only fifteen and don't make a lot of money on my own, but I want something good looking with a great personality.

As for the angler, I think I'll give it its own tank if i get one.

Thanks for all the help guys!
:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store