setting up a gar tank

07candyr6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2010
A-TX
so Im thinking about getting a gar but Im not sure how to setup the tank?(dumb question?)
what do yall perfer for substrate or no substrate, plants real or fake? also what about filtration? Ive seen a couple of pics online of setups with just bubblers but Im not to crazy about that.
let me know what you think will be best.
thanks

Noddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2008
Ede-Holland
whatever you like best!
As long as the footprint of your tank is big enough, imo 6'x 2' x 2', you can do with the aquascaping whatever you like.
I have a dimly lit tank with fake hanging plants, 4 airstones and a lot of driftwood.
My gar has his own resting spot next to some driftwood.
he seems to like his surroundings.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
I do not recommend live plants, as the gar will eventually rip them up or continuously uproot them.

Obviously the footprint of the tank is very important. Gars are not as flexible as modern day fish. They need space to turn around comfortably.

In my opinion, darker substrate or a fair amount of driftwood should be used to bring out your gars coloration the best. Some people like the washed out look though, so that's up to you of course.

Gars require about as much filtration as any other monsters that you'll find. An over-filtered tank is a happy tank as long as the current isn't out of control. Airstones are always nice, but not necessary. Gars regularly break the surface to gulp down air anyways. I'd say as long as their is a little surface agitation they will be fine.

07candyr6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2010
A-TX
cool thanks for the info! I guess Ill do sand and I have a piece of drift wood that Ive had for about a year in a tank and it will not stop leaking the color into the water. any ideas on how to stop that? its been in a tank the whole time and Ive done plenty of water changes and ive also boiled it half at a time though didnt have a pot big enough. Ive also heard of putting it in the oven does that do anything?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
i would go with most of maddings suggestions, except if you would like to use live plants floating water sprite, hornwort, or the like will work just fine. also java moss or java fern will work well provided it is anchored (i have used all these plants with gars in the past and present and they work well...particularly the floating water sprite - this works well to shield the gars from light and also absorb nutrient waste from the water).

width of tank is important as is a good filtration system, although if you can keep up with 50% water changes ever 1-2 weeks that will help with the system provided the overall volume of water is appropriate for your gars.

this is also relative to the species you are keeping...gars in general are hardy, but some are more durable than others...Florida and tropical gars are probably hardiest, with spotted/longnose/alligator second in that group...keep in mind gators are most aggressive and will need larger tanks. shortnose gars are most skittish and very prone to breaking their backs. Cuban gars are probably most sensitive to water parameters, particularly pH, so keeping them in higher pH or well-buffered systems is key.

keep driftwood and other tank ornaments to a minimum...allow for as much open space as you can. with decor to a minimum, a lot of the rest of the housing depends on the species you want to keep--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store