what would involve changing fw 125 to salt?

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
im working currently on getting my 28nano setup. im hoping everything goes well.

after i get done with the 28g , i was thinking of converting my 125 to saltwater.

here is the setup now.
125g 72x18x21
2- eheim 2080 canister filters. would like to keep at least 1 of them if not both if possible.
15w uv
400w cf coralife light with nightlights.

i know i will need a protein skimmer, new sand, live rock. to start.

can i keep my canister filters? 1 of them runs the uv.
really dont want to replumb everything for a sump and waste 2 good canisters.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Whoh skippy. One project at a time! We havent even gotten to see pictures of the nano yet.

Couple things first. What kind of tank? Im going to assume fish only because of the UV. Im also going to assume that because 400w CF lighting doesnt do much coral-wise. Maybe softies.

The filters will be fine, but no matter what I would want to add a skimmer.

Aside from that, strip down the tank, give it a thrurough cleaning, clean the filters and everything else you plan to switch over real throughly and then fill her up with sand and saltwater. Get some Live rock...use it to cylcle the tank/cure and you have yourself a good FOWLR setup.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
FLESHY;4239645; said:
Whoh skippy. One project at a time! We havent even gotten to see pictures of the nano yet.

lol.. i havent got a chance to set the nano up yet. will get started on it next week. waiting for more supplies.

i wont think of starting this until well after the nano it setup. i was just thinking ahead to see if it would be costly.

a uv is not good for a coral tank?

as far as light. i would like to keep as much equipment as i can from the old tank. my light has 2 sets of bulbs on seperate switches. would u normally run 10000k and 420/460 actinic? or 4 96w all the same.

as far as corals, maybe a few low lighters nothing crazy. mushrooms maybe. dont have any plan yet.

ok back to nano.. :D

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
TheCanuck;4239657; said:
Use both of your canisters.

I wouldn't waste money on a protein skimmer until you know you need one.

I wouldn't waste money on all that lighting either if your not doing corals. If you are then you should invest in halides, more watts for the $
u dont think a skimmer would be a good idea from the start?

i wont buy another light. work with low light corals if i decide to go tht route.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Hmm...sounds to me like this is more of a fish only display. And with those, I say, the more filtration the better. Skimmers are an awesome part of any saltwater system. When you have access to such a great fish keeping tool, why wouldnt you use it?

Im skimmer crazy though.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
here is a thought. i could keep 1 of my ehiem 2080's for extra filtration and to run my uv. then i could add a hob ecosystem 60 refugum with a protien skimmer. i like the miricle mud idea. granted it only rated for 60gallons, but with a few extra powerheads and the eheim filter i should have enough turnover for a fowler setup.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
mos90;4251745; said:
here is a thought. i could keep 1 of my ehiem 2080's for extra filtration and to run my uv. then i could add a hob ecosystem 60 refugum with a protien skimmer. i like the miricle mud idea. granted it only rated for 60gallons, but with a few extra powerheads and the eheim filter i should have enough turnover for a fowler setup.
If your bio load is huge and out competes your system then you will need a skimmer. It should do a good job though. Fleshy is correct skimmers are great for FOWLR and almost needed for predators. Skimmers are essential but not for every application, see how the fuge and filtration handles it first. Then if you want to do less water changes and spend some money on a good skimmer, do so ;)

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store