Converting FW to SW tank have some questions...

Juice79

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2008
ny
Hi Guys,
I have been keeping FW (Africans) for a few years and have loved it. I recently purchased a 175 gallon oceanic bowfront and have decided this tank will look much better as a reef tank rather than an african cichlid tank. I have done a ton of reading and research but still have a few questions. I have also decided to just start with rock and fish only.

Additionally, my friend is shutting down his SW tank and is giving me 50g's of water, 100lbs of rock and his sand. I will also be getting his protein skimmer and RO machine.

Filter Questions:
1 - I have 4 canister filters: an FX5 and 3 405's currently running on my FW tanks. Will these be sufficient for filtering and do I need to use all of them (dont think i do)?
2- Can i just rinse out the filter pads and bio media thoroughly in tap water or do i need to buy new pads and media.

Setup questions:
3 - I plan on purchasing more live rock and sand. If i combine with his tank's rock and sand how long should this take to cycle?

I am looking for some advice from the experts and those who have done the switch. Thanks in advance!!

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Juice79;4245065; said:
Hi Guys,
I have been keeping FW (Africans) for a few years and have loved it. I recently purchased a 175 gallon oceanic bowfront and have decided this tank will look much better as a reef tank rather than an african cichlid tank. I have done a ton of reading and research but still have a few questions. I have also decided to just start with rock and fish only.

Additionally, my friend is shutting down his SW tank and is giving me 50g's of water, 100lbs of rock and his sand. I will also be getting his protein skimmer and RO machine.

Filter Questions:
1 - I have 4 canister filters: an FX5 and 3 405's currently running on my FW tanks. Will these be sufficient for filtering and do I need to use all of them (dont think i do)?
2- Can i just rinse out the filter pads and bio media thoroughly in tap water or do i need to buy new pads and media.

Setup questions:
3 - I plan on purchasing more live rock and sand. If i combine with his tank's rock and sand how long should this take to cycle?

I am looking for some advice from the experts and those who have done the switch. Thanks in advance!!
I would only run the fx5 and a sump that will hold your skimmer. I would also look into an algae scrubber or a fuge if your going for corals eventually. Otherwise yes rinse with tap water, good cleaning and hook up. Easy.

Keep up with maintenance on the canister otherwise it could harm your tank.

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
i wouldn't use the canister filters at all uness it's just to polish the water and if it's established Rock you shouldn't even have to go through a cycle because 100lbs of rock offer a lot of bacteria already in place, not to mention what's in the sand. With that said when adding new rock if it's uncured you will go through a cycle and it's hard telling how long it'll take, really matters on what kind of condition the rock is in

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store