What should I do?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Guys,

I have a 20 gallon quarantine tank in my home office, and a 72 gallon bow front tank in the hall way. The heaters are set at 79-80, however my in water thermometers say that the twenty is 84.3 and the main tank is at 88.6! I have no live stock in the twenty gallon, but in my main I have a snow flake eel, clark clown fish, anemone, long nose hawk fish, crabs and snails. The fish seem to be doing fine. Their all eating and swimming perfectly fine. I've noticed this about a week ago, probably because since it's summer the tank heated up. I have no AC downstairs where my tanks are located. Thanks in Advance
:WHOA: Hot Tanks

thewaterboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
Boston, MA
yeah it is the summer heat. after a few hot days with no AC the water will heat up. I don't know much about saltwater fish but my freshwater fish never seem to have a problem with this.
If anything I would keep an eye on the oxygenation in the water. If the fish appear to be at the surface gasping for air you should prob toss in another powerhead or something. warm water holds less oxygen. goodluck

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
I do have a few wave makers that is probably giving them enough oxygen since they seem to be doing fine. As for the chiller.....I don't know if I should get not one 2 chillers just for 2 months. Chiller are very expensive...lol

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
i dont even have a heater in my tank my halides heat it up too much as it is, chiller is the only way to go, i also have a fan that sits underneath and blows straight at the sump there are 3 fans in my halides with cutouts above them in the hood, on top of all that i have a chiller. you say a chiller is expensive? how much did your fish cost you and how much will it cost you to replace them if they die because it gets too hot? subtract that from the cost of the chiller and thats how much it cost you THIS YEAR as next year when it keeps your fish alive it will save you that much money again, and so on and so forth, eventually it wont have cost you a penny but it would have saved you money time and a lot of work.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
+1 for what perfect is saying. In situations where tank temps get out of control like this a chiller is probably the only way to go. Turn down your heater. The heater in my tank is set to 74 just to make sure my reef doenst bottom out. With my halides, in summer, the tank can get up to 80 or a little higher but thats okay...once you start getting over 80 is when things start to go bad salt wise.

IF the fish are looking good thats okay, Im mainly concerned about your anemone. As we talked about in another thread they are not fans of changing water parameters. So...you might want to get this nailed down somehow, or invest in a chiller.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store