Buying an entire saltwater setup

buctrose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Minnesota
I will be buying an 120 gallon saltwater and have a few questions about moving it and the inhabitants. The system is still setup and will include 48" tek lights, a uv sterilizer, ehiem canister, protein skimmer, 70lbs live rock, some soft corals and several fish and invertebrates. I have been researching saltwater for some time and feel decent with maintenance but I have a few questions about how to best transport all off this.
-Should I try to keep as much water as I can?
-How do I move the corals?
-Any other tips for re setting up the tank?

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I have moved and upgraded full blown reef tanks many times during my life.

- I take clean surface water to hold all the corals, fish, and inverts in during the change.

-I take out the rock, cleaning it off as I go (if necessary) and put this into clean water in coolers or the such if possible.

- I siphon out as much dirty water, and crap out of the sand as possible, and then put it in a bucket(s)

Since you have disturbed the sandbed you might as well wash it, washing with freshwater will force your tank to re-cycle, so you can wash with warm saltwater if you want to save some of your nitrifying bacteria. I recently moved a 125g with live corals, inverts and fish, washed the 40# of sand I was going to put back in, scrubbed the rock with a toothbrush, and lost no corals, fish or inverts.

My .02

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store