trumpet knifefish

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
I bought two of these beautiful fish. Currently they are in a 55G quaranteen tank along with a black ghost knife that I also just bought.

Trumpet Knives are aroung 7"
BGK is around 4"

They all seem to be getting along fine, and the trumpet knives appear to be schooling. It is hard as heck to find any data on the trumpet knifefish.

Do they do well in pairs? Will they get along with the black ghost knife if kept together in the long run?

diego1114

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2009
Ecuador
Hoyo12;4246449; said:
Trumpet Knife fish are a peaceful species of Knife, and like to be in groups. So the pair should be just fine.
As for the BGK, they can be aggressive towards certain species of fish. If they are all new to the tank, it may work. Only time will tell. ;)
Hoyo is right, you should be ready to move one of 'em out if things doesn't work out...

Terri1987

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2008
Baltimore, Md
i love ossa knives! i have one thats 13'', there aren't any other knife fish in the tank. I do have a BGK but it is separate. I think it'll be okay with them together since the ossas are laid back in comparison to the BGK and they have the ability to change frequencies so their electrical outputs shouldn't bother one another. what are you feeding yours? I feed live blackworms in a worm feeder. the worm feeder is great because my ossa comes right up to it to feed and fewer of the other fish in the tank eat the blackworms that way. which is good. :)

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
Those are some great looking Ossa Knife fish. I also have two of them. The BGK should leave them alone for now but as it gets larger it may become aggressive. It really depends on the specimen, though. I've seen large BGKs be super mean to all other tankmates, and I have also seen them be one of the most peaceful fish you can keep. Hopefully you have a peaceful one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store