20 gal nano reef

nosking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2008
ny
I am thinking about starting up a nano reef out of a spare 20 gal i have sitting around. parts im planing an using are
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=393+397&pcatid=397 22 pounds.
Lighting i am planning on using http://www.aquacave.com/24-2x65w-orbit-pc-fixturebr-by-current-usa-886.html.
still haven't decided on what protein skimmer i am going to use something cheap though and a spare fluval 405 i have laying
around as a power head/filter. I was also thinking about buying a few pounds of GARF GRUNGE.
Not sure how much sand to use though any advice or better equipment to use would be much apprenticed thanks.

Mike

Exodon Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Maryland, USA
If it's your first or second saltwater tank, I wouldn't recomend making it a nano.
When it comes to marine tanks,bigger is oftern easier to maintain (although more expensive).

Nano tanks tend to be prone to swings in chemical balances, salt levels and nitrate levels. such swings are easily triggered and very hard to contol.

If this isn't your fist marine, then by all means got for it, man!! sorry for the lecture.

nosking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2008
ny
I have a 125 salty already that has over 150 pounds of live rock in it. i just wanted to know if there is better equipment then the ones i have already chosen cheaper or around the same price i mean.

Exodon Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Maryland, USA
Oh, hehe.

Sorry for the lecture, then man.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I would recommend that you skim, and that you dont skimp. Thats the second most important piece of reef-keeping equipment you can buy. (Other than high quality lights)

nosking

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2008
ny
what about a Odyssea PS75 if i mod it by taking out the 2 sponges i here it worked alright and even if it is crap its still pulling allot out for a 20 gal right?

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
FLESHY;4250131; said:
I would recommend that you skim, and that you dont skimp. Thats the second most important piece of reef-keeping equipment you can buy. (Other than high quality lights)
You are mr.skim lmao...

you know for reef skimmers are actually bad, especially in smaller systems and you can overskim...

Algae scrubbers are 10x as good as a skimmer. Even a fuge is better than a skimmer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store