No water changes?

Enemyarms

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2009
West Des Moines
I have a general idea about haveing salt water, but i had a customer come into petsmart and after we had spoken, he was saying that you dont need to do water changes, just top it off. How much live rock and sand would you need to do that? it doesnt make since to me.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
he could just be going off the thinking that if the water is in the green on all levels then it doesn't need to be changed...my 20gal stays at 0,0,10 or less, but it still needs to be changed for the trace elements...

hick_a_rican

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
ct
sbuse;4251665; said:
he could just be going off the thinking that if the water is in the green on all levels then it doesn't need to be changed...my 20gal stays at 0,0,10 or less, but it still needs to be changed for the trace elements...

i agree with you but... i do know a guy fith a very nice custom 250gl tank and he has not done a h20 change in 2yrs.. his tank is great and thriving. seems to never have a problem.. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE???

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
hick_a_rican;4251674; said:
i agree with you but... i do know a guy fith a very nice custom 250gl tank and he has not done a h20 change in 2yrs.. his tank is great and thriving. seems to never have a problem.. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE???
because he most likly has a refugium and adds additives...with enough live rock and micro organisums for the fish to feed on, that also clean the water, it becomes a complete system...i also know a few people that have simmilar large displays and they don't even feed the fish...as the system has everything...in fact he hasn't fed his fish in 1yr...all are heathy and thriving...

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
sbuse;4251892; said:
because he most likly has a refugium and adds additives...with enough live rock and micro organisums for the fish to feed on, that also clean the water, it becomes a complete system...i also know a few people that have simmilar large displays and they don't even feed the fish...as the system has everything...in fact he hasn't fed his fish in 1yr...all are heathy and thriving...
wow!

sbuse doing some researching and learning saltwater!

haha hes entirely correct. Many claim with an algae scrubber this is easily possible. I personally don't do water changes for 4 months, and i dump 2lbs of food in a day. Like sbuse said you can set up your tank to be a mini eco system and it will recycle the water. Zoodiver said they don't do water changes at aquariums either, they just sterilize the water and pump back in. For most though, water changes are easier.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Zoos have HUGE scrubbers, industrial chemicals, and massive integrated systems.

The guy at the petstore does not. Even if he has a "deep-sand bed" it will get anoxic, and everything is going to die in there sooner or later. If you dont like water changes get out of the hobby. Plain and simple.

Enemyarms

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2009
West Des Moines
FLESHY;4252320; said:
Zoos have HUGE scrubbers, industrial chemicals, and massive integrated systems.

The guy at the petstore does not. Even if he has a "deep-sand bed" it will get anoxic, and everything is going to die in there sooner or later. If you dont like water changes get out of the hobby. Plain and simple.

Glad that is clear, silly bastard. :) I really have been wanting to setup a nice salt tank again. Last time i did tho, my purple algie got all over my sand, than my poor glass started getting covered in green. Before i moved it, it was a great system. I really would love to get back into a salt tank again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store