What's the most grusome death one of your fish has suffered?

lujor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Here&There
What's your worst fish loss story? Not counting feeders. (Although I once had a large frog swim in circles for half an hour because one of his legs got bitten off). ie What's the worst/saddest/most violent way one of your pet fish died? Please omit all "...sleeps with the fishes" jokes.

sickbugs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2010
barbados
my female dwarf gourami got mauled nearly to death, fins missing/ripped up, body ripped up, one of the gill plates missing.. weirdest thing? the only other inhabitants of that 20g tank are a male dwarf gourami and 2 pearl gouramis.

Matt724

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2009
SOCAL & ANN ARBOR, MI
My juvi EBJD got ich and an internal parasite that made his stomach expand like a balloon and got extremely dark for about 3 days then popped and lay at the bottom of the tank with an open stomach trying to breath for half an hour. It was terrible and all the time I couldn't find the net.

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Matt724;4252457; said:
My juvi EBJD got ich and an internal parasite that made his stomach expand like a balloon and got extremely dark for about 3 days then popped and lay at the bottom of the tank with an open stomach trying to breath for half an hour. It was terrible and all the time I couldn't find the net.

jeeezus :nilly:

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
my daughter (2 1/2) almost killed her american flag fish with hands covered in Desetin (diaper rash cream) after she finger painted the inside of the tank and threw a battery powered toy in there too! Little guy was down at the bottom breathing really hard for a LONG time. Cleaned his tank a couple of times, treated him, and he actually lived through it. So crap, not a death story but.....

Reactions: RocketGarStar

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
Lol. I usually don't like these kinds of threads but I have had a couple of incidents. We had a fahaka puffer get sucked up into the intake of a HOB filter and he puffed up and got stuck and obviously died. And a bichir got sucked up into a intake of a canister and probably got chopped to pieces by the fan thing in there. And then of course fish eating other fish. And the catfish story. Got munched on my piranhas. oooops...

likestofish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Duluth, GA
I accidentally stepped on a danio that jumped. Also had a black moor get its eyes popped off and eaten.

Parachromis57

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2010
East Peoria, Illinois
Ok you pick.

Duboisi died from eating the remains of an electric yellow he killed. He popped from bloat/dropsy a week later.

Spotted raphael catfish. Caught alive by large crayfish got his face eaten to death before i could catch the damn thing. You'd be surprised how hard it is to catch a crayfish in a 125 gallon tank. Finally took scissors and grabbed his arm and then he got what was coming to him.

OR red tailed shark got moved for the 6th time. Swim bladder popped and he killed himself ramming into all of the aquarium decorations till he smashed his face in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store