Assistance needed regarding phosphates

cancore

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
Edmonton
Greetings,

After inspecting the tap water at my place with a API master kit the levels were good. The problem was when I began the de-cholorinate. Apparently the water conditioner I used is for freshwater only and uses phosphates as a buffer. After realising this I purchased and am using a phosphate remover and have been preforming around 80% water changes and every couple days and I am still above 10 ppm. Can I continue doing water changes without premixing salt then when the phosphates are at acceptable levels add the salt mix? (Seems like a lot of wasted salt...) There is no coral, fish or invertabrates only live rock and fine sand.

Thanks

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
cancore;4254595; said:
Greetings,

After inspecting the tap water at my place with a API master kit the levels were good. The problem was when I began the de-cholorinate. Apparently the water conditioner I used is for freshwater only and uses phosphates as a buffer. After realising this I purchased and am using a phosphate remover and have been preforming around 80% water changes and every couple days and I am still above 10 ppm. Can I continue doing water changes without premixing salt then when the phosphates are at acceptable levels add the salt mix? (Seems like a lot of wasted salt...) There is no coral, fish or invertabrates only live rock and fine sand.

Thanks
It may be a good idea to look into a RO unit in the future, it will make your life a lot easier.

And if you are not concerned about starting your nitrogen cycle anytime soon, i dont see a problem. The bacteria in fresh and saltwater are different and cant live outside of their respective medium. I dont know how long this has been going on, but your live rock may not be so live anymore.

cancore

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
Edmonton
Heathd;4255570; said:
It may be a good idea to look into a RO unit in the future, it will make your life a lot easier.

And if you are not concerned about starting your nitrogen cycle anytime soon, i dont see a problem. The bacteria in fresh and saltwater are different and cant live outside of their respective medium. I dont know how long this has been going on, but your live rock may not be so live anymore.
Thanks for the reply but its been salt water the whole time, but if the live rock could die if the water becomes fresh throught adding unmixed fresh water then I will continue the premixed salt water changes thanks for the reply.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store