Ever Seen A Bare Bottom...

ccebr

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2010
England
Fish Only Marine Tank?

I certainly haven't, yet think it could look great, with the focus being purely on the fish.

If you have one, or have a photo, please share! :popcorn:

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
ccebr;4255220; said:
Fish Only Marine Tank?

I certainly haven't, yet think it could look great, with the focus being purely on the fish.

If you have one, or have a photo, please share! :popcorn:
I dont think that is a great idea, to be honest. Live rock will house some bb, but sand is far more beneficial in regards to that sort of thing. I think this is more common in freshwater because most species are more forgiving of water parameters, where as salt isnt.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
agreed, Bare bottom is not recomended for salt, they are not "nutrient storage" like some people say. They are pure good filtration which is nessisary for the water quality demanding fish, if you want to do a tank with a bare bottom I'd say do remote SB, as in have a sump with the sand in it instead so you can still have the filtration. But personaly I find that in marine setups its not complete without the sand and corals.

silent1mezzo

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2010
Burlington
Agreed. You could try it but it'd be better having the sand in there. I've never seen any with the bare bottom but I personally don't like that look.

The1and only

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
San Diego
I have seen some reef tanks with a bare bottom. The rocks were held off the bottom by egg crate by about an inch and a power head was directed down to prevent dead spots. The guy I talked to about it swore it was the best method available, but it was for a reef not a FO tank.

ccebr

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2010
England
I have seen some reef tanks with a bare bottom. The rocks were held off the bottom by egg crate by about an inch and a power head was directed down to prevent dead spots. The guy I talked to about it swore it was the best method available, but it was for a reef not a FO tank.
I think that could work for a FO system too, it just maintains a better flow of water.

if you want to do a tank with a bare bottom I'd say do remote SB, as in have a sump with the sand in it instead so you can still have the filtration.
so Remote SB is having the filtration i.e. live rock and sand in a sump?

Wont several FX5 filters packed full of media house the beneficial bacteria like that of the live rock and sand? How is it so different from freshwater?..it forms in the filter as well as on any hard surface there, so why wouldn't this be the case in salt?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
The benifits of a DSB require low agitation/flow. Rubble rock in a canister is fine, but I dont think the sand is going to do much, other then get kicked around and wear out the internals.

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
SW fish wholesalers tanks are always bare bottom

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Knowdafish;4256228; said:
SW fish wholesalers tanks are always bare bottom
You are also talking about people who are trying to get as fast of a turn over rate as possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store