Help! Red Slime heartache

enwelz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2009
Woodinville, Wa`
I have a 30gal With live rock(15lbs, need more), live sand, 2 clowns, an anemone, a snowflake eel, and various snails. I have tried keeping diamond watchmans but they jump out of the smallest gaps where my skimmer return overflow is, and I assume its being chased out by the eel. What else can I get that will help to curb a red slime outbreak on my sand? My nitrates are high and my nitrites are very close to 0. I am doing regular 20% waterchanges now, trying to cut the nitrates, at about 20ppm this morning. I am pretty sure thats why it is growing, but does anyone have a species recomendation that will dine on it aswell?

Thanks

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Hard to find stuff that will eat red slime.

Best solution is big water changes with high quality h2o and salt mix.

Better flow + clean substrate + manual removal of what you have now and what you will get in the future are your best solutions.

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
I used a small airline tube and sucked out as much of the slime as I could and then did a 25% water change daily. After 3 days it was all gine

Gprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Ottawa
dont do daily water changes, that can cause nitrate problems, shock the tank, and possibly cause another cycle

Exodon Man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Maryland, USA
Put some extra powerheads in the tank. Red slime algae (realy a bacteria) will only survive in areas of low water movement.

It worked for my nano.

Weylin

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2007
Inside a Bottle
I've use the ATF... That worked great in removing annoying algae from the DT and brought the nitrates down to under 10 from 50...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store