HOB on a salt setup?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I already plan on getting a protein skimmer and some power heads. I am not relying on the AC 110 for flow, but more for mechanical filtration. I was thinking this would be a nice addition (namely because I already have it).

Anyone think this is completely worthless?

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Give me some specs on your aquarium...what you are trying to do with it (reef, FOWLR...ect)...everything you can.

There is nothing wrong with a HOB filter, but they might not be my first recommendation, with a large/powerful enough skimmer you probably wouldnt even need to run it.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
FLESHY;4256516; said:
Give me some specs on your aquarium...what you are trying to do with it (reef, FOWLR...ect)...everything you can.

There is nothing wrong with a HOB filter, but they might not be my first recommendation, with a large/powerful enough skimmer you probably wouldnt even need to run it.
Sorry, i guess i left that out. Its going to be a 75 reef with a sprinkling of reef safe fish. I plan on doing 150lbs of live rock and a dsb.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Be careful with that DSB...I have had bad experiences with people who think that a DSB is the magical-cure-all for water quality issues. It isnt. And cleaning the substrate in closed systems will always be necessary in my mind.

That being said, I currently run a heavily stocked (blue hippo tang, midas blenny, 2x clarkii clown) 75g reef, and it is doing great (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate are all zero with bi-weekly h2o changes) and is housing mixed corals but mainly sps, with only a AquaC Remora skimmer. You can buy prefilter boxes for these that would also give you mechanical, biological, and chemical filtration, but I dont think you even need that. I would skip the HOB and get yourself a high quality skimmer, and an overflow box if you felt it necessary.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Also 150# of LR in a 75 is a lot...I had 140# in mine and the rock ran from both sides at one height to within 4" of the surface...it was good for the grouper that was in there, but not much else. Remember, you have to have places to put corals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store