Quiet Powerhead/wave maker

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
What is perhaps the best and quietest powerhead/ wave maker? I just picked up a fully equipped 55 gallon tonight and the power heads are atrocious. They move a lot of water, but they are very noisy :irked:.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Otto_VonBacon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Montgomery TEXAS
I'm a huge fan of the Koralia models. Will never use anything else.

Gprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Ottawa
Depending on how well kept they are they are all pretty decent, I use Hydor Koralia's myself. Best to run them in a 2:1 water and vinegar solution for about a day every 3-4 months so they don't get overly calcified/covered in stuff.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Thanks everyone. And thanks for the cleaning tip Gprime. I may do that with these and see if it helps em out.

Gprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Ottawa
no problem just make sure you rinse them generously in RO water before sticking them back into the tank

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
First off, what kind of powerheads are you using, and what condition do they appear to be in? You might have good powerheads that have just had lousy care taken of them.

Otto_VonBacon;4260835; said:
I'm a huge fan of the Koralia models. Will never use anything else.
+1...koralia powerheads are the best powerheads you can buy for the money. Vortech is the highest quality, but probably isnt worth the price tag.

Gprime;4260913; said:
Depending on how well kept they are they are all pretty decent, I use Hydor Koralia's myself. Best to run them in a 2:1 water and vinegar solution for about a day every 3-4 months so they don't get overly calcified/covered in stuff.
Or you could take them out every other week...or even once a month and go over all the moving parts with a toothbrush. I do that as part of my water changes.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
FLESHY;4262807; said:
First off, what kind of powerheads are you using, and what condition do they appear to be in? You might have good powerheads that have just had lousy care taken of them.

+1...koralia powerheads are the best powerheads you can buy for the money. Vortech is the highest quality, but probably isnt worth the price tag.

Or you could take them out every other week...or even once a month and go over all the moving parts with a toothbrush. I do that as part of my water changes.
Honestly, i dont know. They look like marineland powerheads, but I couldnt tell you what I am basing that off of, other then my experience with marineland products.

I got a full blown 55gal saltwater setup for free on saturday. LR, sand, two powerheads, current 4 x 54 t5 ho with moonlights, sump, and protein skimmer. I replaced the sump with an ac 100 because the sump is about fall apart. There is one coral in there that I cant identify. It looks like a mushroom, but has all these tiny polyps on it.

Other then that, no fish came with it. I added two clowns and a scooter blenny today.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Whoh. Stocking a little fast. Small fish you should be fine. Post pictures if you want for sure Id's on anything.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
FLESHY;4263114; said:
Whoh. Stocking a little fast. Small fish you should be fine. Post pictures if you want for sure Id's on anything.
The tank got taken down the day the fish was sold (the one that the original owner had), and was put up the same day, within a mater of hours. The LR and substrate was years old, the biological community was mature. These fish are small and I dont think I will have any issues since the filtration is at a minimum decent.

On another note, I had ten pounds of LR in my ten gallon that I am wanting to put in this tank. It is loaded with bristle worms, and I loaded a bucket with lots of ice and water hoping it would kill everything in it, and the bristleworms are still alive after soaking in it all day. How hard are these guys to kill? :irked:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store