do i need a chiller?

Deaner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Canada
Hey guys, i came home tonight from work, at 230 AM. noticed my tank was at 82 degrees?? havent seen it this high before

is there anything i can do before going out and buying a chiller? i really do not want to have to do this, unless it is my ONLY option. What about some fans over my sump? is this a viable option? please help me with this before i go stocking my tank with expensive fish. its a 75 gallon corner with a 50 gallon sump.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Deaner;4263853; said:
Hey guys, i came home tonight from work, at 230 AM. noticed my tank was at 82 degrees?? havent seen it this high before

is there anything i can do before going out and buying a chiller? i really do not want to have to do this, unless it is my ONLY option. What about some fans over my sump? is this a viable option? please help me with this before i go stocking my tank with expensive fish. its a 75 gallon corner with a 50 gallon sump.
I put a fan blowing underneath the light fixture and that dropped my tank temp by about two degrees. I am using 4 t5ho lamps. You can also put fans over your sump and see a degree or two drop from what I have heard.

If anything, a 25 dollar fan is worth a shot when compared to the price of an aqautic chiller :irked:.

Deaner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Canada
No kidding, i live in Canada, so its not like it is always this hot and humid here. going to rig up a fan unit over my sump today and see how it works.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Lower your heater temp. Have it set so that the tank doesnt bottom out. My heater is set at 74, and with 2x 150w MH over my 75g the tank starts out at about 76 in the morning and gets up to 78. During the summer it goes 78 to 80. Wouldnt want it much hotter than that though.

Deaner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Canada
FLESHY;4264664; said:
Lower your heater temp. Have it set so that the tank doesnt bottom out. My heater is set at 74, and with 2x 150w MH over my 75g the tank starts out at about 76 in the morning and gets up to 78. During the summer it goes 78 to 80. Wouldnt want it much hotter than that though.
Rigged up this fan unit at work today. Worked out pretty nice actually, the fans have alot more turbulence than i expected. I turned my heaters down to 76 degrees. Lets see how these fans work and where its at in the morning! when i came home, the tank was at 81.7 degrees, seems they have already made an impact, or is it just turning my heaters down? who knows for now

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Deaner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Canada
tank sitting at 76 perfect, right where i set it. Havent seen the tank sit where i set the heaters since i set it up. These fans work awesome!

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Great, good to see you dont have to drop 4 or 500 on a chiller.

Deaner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Canada
yeah, i dont know if i should keep these fans running all the time or what. Do you know if there is some sort of switch that i could wire in to make the fans turn on when it reaches a certain temperature?

This has been one of the hotest weeks in a long time around here, dont really know if im going to have any issues later on, but better to have the fan unit just incase.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Deaner;4268372; said:
yeah, i dont know if i should keep these fans running all the time or what. Do you know if there is some sort of switch that i could wire in to make the fans turn on when it reaches a certain temperature?

This has been one of the hotest weeks in a long time around here, dont really know if im going to have any issues later on, but better to have the fan unit just incase.
It would be easy to do with some electrical experience. You would need a thermostat with a preset "on" temp, or an adjustable one, with a relay.

There are the obvious upper and lower temps that you can not go out of, but you should not allow for anything greater then a 2 degree fluctuation in any given day. Within the healthy boundaries is important, but consistency is key also.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store