HOW TO GET FRONTOSA TO GROW FAST

Divasen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2010
IN MY TANK
Hi guys

I will like some advise on how to get 10 2inch frontosa to grow fast, I no that they are slow growers. But i will like to no if there are any ways to enhance there growth. Has any one done this already? Reason being as you guys would no that big frontosa are very expensive.

Thank you

mattholmes320

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2010
Nova Scotia, Canada
Feed them small portions twice a day, make sure that you aren't over feeding and make sure that you use food that is high in fibre and low in protien. Dont' want to give them bloat.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Also, keeping the water as clean as possible, i have found, is the key to fast growth along with a good diet. Do a small (10-15%) water change twice a week

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
Mine are coming along nicely on (2x)Live blackworms and (1x) marine pellets, plus w/c's , lots of them...

frontosa72

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
los angeles california
Divasen;4263937; said:
Hi guys

I will like some advise on how to get 10 2inch frontosa to grow fast, I no that they are slow growers. But i will like to no if there are any ways to enhance there growth. Has any one done this already? Reason being as you guys would no that big frontosa are very expensive.

Thank you
good quality food like NLS pellets x2 a day and shrimps for treat once a week
more frequent water change. 2-3 time a week maybe 30-40% water change each time.
and lastly... what you need the most is PATIENCE....
you can only do so much to make them grow a little faster and make them heathly

thuynh3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2011
LA, CA, 90012
If you want to know the exact growth rate of the frontosa.

I have 10 frontosa at 1 inch.

After one year, my 10 frontosa get to 4 inches, alpha male 5 inches.

But keep in mind, I change 30% of water once a week, and I feed a little twice a day.

Another note, I also have two canister filters running on my 60 gallon tank. Overkilled your filtration is a must.

Reactions: Eric Daniel

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Mine have nearly doubled in size in the last 6 weeks from 3/4" to some at almost 2". Though from past experience with a breeding colony it is way slow from the 2" mark..lol With great water conditions, a large tank, frequent feedings with quality food like NLS or another quality pellet, Mysis shrimp, (gut loaded with spirulina) brine shrimp, rarely some blood worms, krill, cut up market shrimp, and other treats you could have a 6-7" alpha within 12 months. I find that given enough space and food that dominant males grow on a decent pace to the 6" mark. After that expect 1-2+" per year till they hit 12", then growth comes to a near standstill. With that being said, some will take a long time to grow and most females will not top 9-10". I had a 5 year old f1 female moba that was 4.5"... And during that same time period WC females that were 6-7" and were probably 10 years old.

Reactions: Peter_a

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Holy crap...just realized how old this thread is...I'm guessing the OP has big fronts now...or has given them away...lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store