finally pics of salt pond growout

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
been asked quite a few times for pictures my gf took some got a few good ones figured id throw em up.

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Thats Legit I want to make a salt pond one day!

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Granted its just a growout...but it would be neat to do "for real"

Ive always wondered why no one has...or at least I havent seen any threads on it.
I guess you have issues with temp, and salinity depending on the weather but with large hardy SW fish you think you could do it. At least for the summer in some places. Who knows. I feel like I am talking to myself. :D

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
i have issues with evap, but its indoors so temp isnt a problem, its a 300, thats a 4' light the short way across it, its either 6 or 7 feet the long way, and right in the neighborhood of 2' deep. it will be replaced by either an 1100 gallon ply tank, or i may go with a 3' deep ply pond so i can grow mangroves out the top of it. if i go pond it will prob only be 8-900 gallons in that range somewhere. the spotted was one of my first preds, that and the snowflakes that arent in the pics.

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
there are some salt ponds in the shark ray section, but there not for aggro community fish.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Ya...Im thinking more of an all natural in ground pond. That would be crazy. You could have your own lil mangrove swamp in your back yard. :D

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Ye, but it would be cool. I don't think there would be too many problems salt doesnt evaporate. And your parameters should be ok because the large mass of water.

overcooked

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
LA
perfect_prefect;4266195; said:
i have issues with evap, but its indoors so temp isnt a problem, its a 300, thats a 4' light the short way across it, its either 6 or 7 feet the long way, and right in the neighborhood of 2' deep. it will be replaced by either an 1100 gallon ply tank, or i may go with a 3' deep ply pond so i can grow mangroves out the top of it. if i go pond it will prob only be 8-900 gallons in that range somewhere. the spotted was one of my first preds, that and the snowflakes that arent in the pics.
That looks awesome. It has a tidepool look to it. Where can you find pre-made ponds that are 300 gallons?

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
i have 2 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tanks, they would be cool in themselves if you did wood around them like you have to for the prefab ponds. the nice thing about them is they have a great drain plug low that would be great for a drain to a filter sock and into a sump, it would catch any debris that was trying to settle on the bottom. could also be the feed for an external free standing skimmer. limitless options. if all you strive for is a 300 or even a 500 gallon set up they are the most bang for your buck, i paid about $150 for the one i got new and 40 for the 1 i got used. if you go used make sure you know what has been kept in it prior to getting it as farmers like to keep nasty chems in them sometime.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store