First saltwater set-up help

Acura_RSX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
Newfoundland, Canada
So over the past few months ive become very busy and have had to prertty much give this hobby up. i sold my 225 gallon set-up last week as i didnt have the time and money neccisary to keep it going plus it was taking up alot of space in my bedroom. I re laid out my room etc with no intention of any tanks going in the room but i have a space in one part that a nice colorful 33 gal could fit as a nice addition. Then i got to thinking if im going to go that route and make it kind of colorful and decorationy .. why not go salt water? however i know nothing about saltwater yet at all. This is where i need your guys help. For a 33 gal (wouldnt wanna go bigger then that because then it becomes to wide and bulky etc) what kind of saltwater fish could i fit in this tank and what would be neccisary to get them going. how much live rock do i need .. etc etc.

thanks in advance,
Mitch

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
i started this tread ...not knowing much about saltwater either.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337969

i have recieved some good advise. ive come to find out there are many ways to have a successful salt tank. the bottom line seem to come down to what type of tank u plan to do. seems to be the easiest way to go is a fowlr tank. u will get varied optinions on how much live rock to use an what kind. unless u run a sump or refugium i would say 1lbs of rock per gallon.

for my setup using a nano tank, a sump wasnt an option so i went with 1.5lbs of rock per gallon and 15LBS of live sand. my tank has a basic wet/dry filter with 566gph flow rating and a wavemaker, so i shouldnt need extra powerheads. i also have a protein skimmer which ive learned is not to good if your doing a reef tank. but at this point im not going to do corals.

if u decied not to do corals u can basily do any fish that will not outgrow your tank.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
mos90;4267433; said:
i also have a protein skimmer which ive learned is not to good if your doing a reef tank. but at this point im not going to do corals.
First off, what makes you think this? I have a VERY densely stocked reef tank (coral and invert wise) all of which are thriving and growing well. I have lots of SPS, and even some higher end SPS, and the same goes for them. I think that this is wrong, and Id like to know why you think otherwise.

Second off, now that we have that aside, Hi mitch, welcome to our little corner. Like mos said the above thread is a good starting place, come back here to post any further individual or personal questions you might have.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
did u read your thread u just started about the 125gal fleshy.

a few people said that a protein skimmer can cause problems with reef tanks.

like i said, im a saltwater noob. it will take me a while to learn what is fact or fiction.

Acura_RSX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
Newfoundland, Canada
thanks guys. i read a fair bit of that post. my main focus is on suggestions about stocking fish. i know nothingggg about any saltwater fish. im just looking for some colorful bright saltwater fish combinations .. a couple of clown fish in there + ... that kinda thing.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Thats easy to do. Those are really hardy generally speaking. What is it exactly that you want to know?

Sand...rocks...filters...heater...lights...hydrometer...saltmix...dechlorinator. Your good to go.

You could probably use what I just said to set up a 29g and have a pair of smaller clowns in it.

Acura_RSX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
Newfoundland, Canada
FLESHY;4270093; said:
Thats easy to do. Those are really hardy generally speaking. What is it exactly that you want to know?

Sand...rocks...filters...heater...lights...hydrometer...saltmix...dechlorinator. Your good to go.

You could probably use what I just said to set up a 29g and have a pair of smaller clowns in it.
so not a whole lot of difference then freshwater. if i buy a complete freshwater set-up off someone what exactly would i need to go buy to make it a nice saltwater tank .. salt. powerheads. live rock. coral and probably a better light? is that all i would need differently then a freshwater tank?

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Saltwater sand, live rock, hydrometer, salt, nice lights (if you wanted to do corals sooner or later)...

Powerheads. I would recommend koralias. They are a good mix between inexpensive and high quality. Most of the things below them are POS's...most of the things above them cost too much for what they are actually worth.

Depending on filtration you might have to do something about that. I wouldnt really recommend the standard HOB style approach thats so common in FW for SW.

You can do it depending on your tank, I just wouldnt recommend it. For example my friend who has the 10g saltwater setup is just using a little 20g HOB from petco.

Acura_RSX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2008
Newfoundland, Canada
FLESHY;4270573; said:
Saltwater sand, live rock, hydrometer, salt, nice lights (if you wanted to do corals sooner or later)...

Powerheads. I would recommend koralias. They are a good mix between inexpensive and high quality. Most of the things below them are POS's...most of the things above them cost too much for what they are actually worth.

Depending on filtration you might have to do something about that. I wouldnt really recommend the standard HOB style approach thats so common in FW for SW.

You can do it depending on your tank, I just wouldnt recommend it. For example my friend who has the 10g saltwater setup is just using a little 20g HOB from petco.
oh and a protein skimmer. i dunno much about saltwater. protein skimmer is still essential for a tank this size is it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store