Question on Reefs and Dwarf SeaHorses

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
Hey guys to have a reef in your tank, do i need a protein skimmer? i have one but its a pain!!!!!!!!!:nilly:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nilly:!!!!!!!!! and i did ALOT of reserch on Dwarf Seahorses. I was wondering how many can go in 60gallons? i was thinking of a heard of 12? since there tinie tiny:popcorn:

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Per a previous conversation in another thread, just do an algae scrubber, so that you wont have to worry about anything other then the seahorses causing a drop in your pod population.

As far as how many, i would be very gradual about how many you do since you need a sustainable pod population, and 12 seems like a lot.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
anytime

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
wonderful, i didnt realise that SantaMonica was posting here haha, cuz he is the one who peaked my interest in scrubbers (which i then did tons of research on after). i agree scrubber is the way to go especialy with horses.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I had horses with a skimmer. With dwarfs I would go without one, for the reasons stated. Low waste system + you want to keep as much food in it as possible.

60g is a HUGE dwarf tank. Seahorses are not aggressive feeders, and need to have food come to them. Smaller tanks make this easier to do without having to pollute the tank to keep your horses from starving. Live food cultures are also key with dwarves. I dont have enough experience to talk more on the subject, but it is not something to be taken lightly, they deffinitely have fine requirements.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store