ID please

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I thought to put this in the coral section, but this area gets more traffic.

Can anyone tell me what this is? I thought maybe a type of mushroom, but im thinking no the more I look at it... but I still cant come up with anything other then a mushroom.

This is the best I can do for a picture, because I am currently too cheap to go buy a good camera.

It has little tentacles on it, and those white spots are mysis shrimp that floated its way.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Kevin8888;4268765; said:
Big brown thing? looks like a spong or a seasquirt colony to me.
Not a sea squirt, I promise you. And I have reason to believe that it isnt a sponge because it was exposed to air for some time while the tank was bring broken down at the old owners house. It is my understanding that songes pretty much tank when they are exposed to air.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
sponges dont nessisarily die if they get open air, so long as its breif, and why couldnt it be squirts (tunicates)? they come in a veriety of colours and shapes.
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchsponge.html
It could also be just a really boring colour stony or soft coral... as ones like that do exist, just are really dull so no one buys them haha.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Hmm. If we are talking about the big brown thing... I have no idea.

The picture is a little hard to tell. Could you get closer?

If I had to guess, I would say sponge. What does it feel like?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
This has little colonys of polyps on it, and yea the id is pertaining to the brown thing. It will grab, hold on to, and digest food that comes its way. I will poke at it gently to get an idea of its texture when I get home, however, it doesnt appear to be hard/stoney.

To be frank, its ugly as sin, and I am thinking about removing it, but for some reason I feel guilty about doing that.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Heathd;4270083; said:
To be frank, its ugly as sin, and I am thinking about removing it, but for some reason I feel guilty about doing that.
LOL just find someone who is willing to house your "ugly as sin" coral and all will be forgiven hahah.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
So I am guessing it is an sps. I poked it with my tongs and its a hard as the rock it is attached to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store