stocking my tank tomorrow

Deaner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Canada
Finally have the cycle complete in my 75 gallon tank. Plan on getting a couple clowns tomorrow. How many fish could i introduce into the newly cycled tank tomorrow? i plan on having a couple clowns, some chromis, yellow tang and powder blue if possible. Also would it be a smart idea to wait a bit to introduce a bubble tip anenome?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Deaner;4270745; said:
Finally have the cycle complete in my 75 gallon tank. Plan on getting a couple clowns tomorrow. How many fish could i introduce into the newly cycled tank tomorrow? i plan on having a couple clowns, some chromis, yellow tang and powder blue if possible. Also would it be a smart idea to wait a bit to introduce a bubble tip anenome?
I would do the bubble tip first, and give him a week to adjust and get his footing, start him on regular feedings, and then introduce the clowns at the same time. Anemones take a little time to find a spot they like, and to anchor their foot. There is also no guarantee that it wont move later in the future either.

I would do the chromis at the same time, and the tang(s) last. Giving a week or two in between introductions.

Deaner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Canada
Heathd;4270802; said:
I would do the bubble tip first, and give him a week to adjust and get his footing, start him on regular feedings, and then introduce the clowns at the same time. Anemones take a little time to find a spot they like, and to anchor their foot. There is also no guarantee that it wont move later in the future either.

I would do the chromis at the same time, and the tang(s) last. Giving a week or two in between introductions.
are you saying i should introduce clowns and an anenome tomorrow?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Deaner;4270804; said:
are you saying i should introduce clowns and an anenome tomorrow?
Yea, i just read what i wrote, and I can see how it would be taken that way, but thats not what I meant.

The bubble tip needs to be clown free for at least 4-5 days, IMO. If the clowns immediatly try to take to the anemone, it will stress it badly. Its not uncommon for bubble tips to shove themselves up in rock work for a couple of days until they become comfortable with their surroundings and then set anchor.

Deaner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Canada
interesting, looks like im going to be getting just a anenome tomorrow, what are the nicest types in your opinion?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Deaner;4270831; said:
interesting, looks like im going to be getting just a anemone tomorrow, what are the nicest types in your opinion?
Uhm, well if you wanting the clowns to host it, you need to decide 100% what kind of clown you want, and then see what kind of anemone they will willingly host. Then, from that list, see what will fit in your tank.

Bubble tips are a bit more manageable as far as size goes, and perhaps a bit more fish friendly. Most anemones get HUGE and the carpet anemones will eat just about any thing they can catch. So you could come home one day to find a chromis or two missing.

I dont think anemones are really beginner friendly either. Some very experienced saltys have lost anemones. One of the biggest misconceptions is that they get most of their nutrients from light, which is false. They should receive daily, appropriately sized meaty feedings.

IMO, tho, I like the bubble tips, especially rose bubble tips.

Now, with all that said, you can get an anemone that is not on the list of host for your clown and they may still host it, but I make no gaurantees on that. The only reason why I say that because clowns have been known to host corals when an anemone is absent from the tank.

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
I say always add corals and anenomes first give them atleast 2-3 weeks before you add fish after to make sure they aren't unstable and going to die.

Deaner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Canada
thanks for the info, i think im just going to start off with a pair of ocellaris clowns, and yes i really like the rose bubble tips.

all this being said, would it hurt to introduce a bubble tip anenome and a couple green chromis tomorrow? i wouldnt think they would bother the anenome

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store