Very confused freshie trying to get an idea on what he needs for a 125g FOWLR (HELP!)

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
:confused:

I'm moving at the end of the month and I've already got the green light from my wife to get a big tank. For me a big tank is 125g or greater. I haven't picked up a tank yet, and the kind I get is largely dependent on the deal that I find once we move.

I'm still debating fresh or marine, but the wife and I are avid scuba divers, and I am enamored with triggers so I'm leaning heavily towards salt. I've been doing a bunch of research but separating the wheat from the chaff is proving rather difficult.

MFK always points me in the right direction, and I'm hoping some of you guys can simplify things for me and point me in the right direction.

Here's what I have in mind:

1 trigger probably a Rhinecanthus

1 Puffer probably a spiny

1 larger growing angel probably queen or emperor

1 moray probably white eye

Here are my questions:

1. What size tank would I need to house all these?

2. How much live rock do I need?

3. How much light do I need to grow a nice coat of coraline algae?

4. Filtration? wet/dry's? sumps? skimmer? refugiums? Who makes the best marine stuff? Whats the most cost effective?

5. Is live sand worth investing in? How much would I need?

I'm basically looking for the most cost effective low tech way I can have a trigger fish and some buddies. My wife is a big fan of puffers.

Somebody PLEASE help! :nilly:

Thanks,
-C

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
if you want a reef then get atleast a pound for ever gallon of live rock, if you want it to be more open you could get away with maybe 30lbs, and a 125 should be fine

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Those four fish in a 125 or larger may work, but i see the trigger and puffer being a bad combination.

Triggers in general are meanies and can rape/pillage a tank in no time.

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
well the wife wants a puffer and I want a trigger. Seeing as how I'll be the one buying all this and taking care of it, if the puffer gets raped it's just too bad. I heard they were hardy/aggressive anyway. What about a Niger? aren't they supposed to be kinder gentler? Blue jaw?

RoastReef

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
San Martin, CA
This is just my .02. First, if you're thinking of a standard 125 (72"x18"x24") and you have the room for it, I'd be re-thinking to a minimum of a standard 180 (72"x24"x24"). The extra 6" front to back gives you a way better space for aquascaping and the extra water volume is always good to have. As far as live rock and sand, I would buy mostly base/dead rock and dead sand (and search on craigslist; people are breaking down tanks like crazy right now). After that, I would buy a little live rock and let the tank sit for a while. The live rock will seed the tank and the sand and rock will be "live" in no time. Some people will disagree, but I think wet/dry's suck. And if you want a pred. tank, a protein skimmer will be the best investment you make. Don't skimp on this piece of equipment. Bubble Kings are awesome but very pricey. I personally am very happy with Warner Marine. They make a great skimmer and the prices are reasonable. I'm gonna send you a pm too.

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
RoastReef;4271184; said:
This is just my .02. First, if you're thinking of a standard 125 (72"x18"x24") and you have the room for it, I'd be re-thinking to a minimum of a standard 180 (72"x24"x24"). The extra 6" front to back gives you a way better space for aquascaping and the extra water volume is always good to have. As far as live rock and sand, I would buy mostly base/dead rock and dead sand (and search on craigslist; people are breaking down tanks like crazy right now). After that, I would buy a little live rock and let the tank sit for a while. The live rock will seed the tank and the sand and rock will be "live" in no time. Some people will disagree, but I think wet/dry's suck. And if you want a pred. tank, a protein skimmer will be the best investment you make. Don't skimp on this piece of equipment. Bubble Kings are awesome but very pricey. I personally am very happy with Warner Marine. They make a great skimmer and the prices are reasonable. I'm gonna send you a pm too.
thanks I really appreciate it.

Yeah a 180g would be the way to go for sure. I think i do have room for one, and if I could find a good deal on one I'd get it for sure. It's hard to get my wife to agree to spend a bunch of money on fish stuff.

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Ok FOWLR

You'll need sump, good skimmer(ex. octo skimmers r good), decent lighting, and LR along with sand about it

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
fishy12;4271269; said:
Ok FOWLR

You'll need sump, good skimmer(ex. octo skimmers r good), decent lighting, and LR along with sand about it
can you buy a sump or do I need to DIY one? I'm not very experienced using power tools and whatnot...

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Diogenes;4271284; said:
can you buy a sump or do I need to DIY one? I'm not very experienced using power tools and whatnot...
You can build a sump with little or no power tools, and once you do some reading on them, they are super easy to design and build. Also, compared to the cost of buying one, its deff worth while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store