ques bout feeding my preds.

BAYOU boy 437

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
louisana
Hi guys i usually feed all my preds squid, fresh shrimp, whole live bay shrimp, and 1-3inch blue crabs, and saltwater baitfish . the baitfish are quarintinned for 2 weeks prior to feeding..

well any ways can i feed my preds tilipia fillet?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Generaly speaking, feeding freshwater fish to saltwater fish can cause fatty liver disease and cause them to pass away prematurely. Thats normally what you encounter with feeding gold fish, guppies, other live bearers... I would expect the same from freeding tilapia.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Someone with more experience may chime in, like Kevin.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
BAYOU boy 437;4273021; said:
what ever happend to cannuck?
The ban hammer got dropped on him. :nilly:

I would go into detail, but the mods deleted the last post I made about it because "I was putting up another members personal business"

I think he comes back sometime next week.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
LOL poor Canuck, he will be back, I would have to agree, Talapia though good for people are not so good for salty preds, go with what you have, though there other options like other salt fish... but for the most part they tend to be rather pricey.

I would say that their current diet is good, you say salt bait fish... live I assume due to quarentine? What speicies? Anchovies? Silversides? As both of these (dead or alive, but none from the can they have to be freash haha) would be acceptable foods, fed hole being best as they have better nutrition due to organs and the like, if dead just get some tongs and wave the food-fish around infront of the pred and that "should" stimulate their feeding instincts.

Though I don't have much experience with preds as they sadly don't play nice in reefs :p the canuck would be better to help you here, and you can always ask him when hes back (though I think hes using his GFs account at the moment so he may say something). But for now I'd say their diet is perfect (though sounds bit costly).

Have you tryed Fiddler crabs? dont know if they cost more or less then blues... heres a link to some good live invert for food site (haven't used them but Mr.Reef says they are good). http://www.aquaculturestore.com/swinverts.html

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Im betting he is collecting the blues...just be careful about that and know your regs.

I fed my trigger krill, silversides...whatever he wanted. But I never gave him freshwater foods.

My grouper and lionfish ate the same. Occasionally my lion would get some rosy reds (yes...I know...terrible stupid) but the way they feed is truly amazing. For the most part I would say stick with salty food...the lion got one little rosy red a month or so.

BAYOU boy 437

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
louisana
i plan on sticking to salty foods. and behind my house i have a natural saltwater pond.. tht has a abundance of blue crabs and fiddlers...
the pond has what we say cochaoe minniows. fish love them.
all the live foods ive listed are collected from my pond...

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Well then keep feedin from the pond :p cuz it will save you a ton of money haha. (though try not to kill off the pond either ahah)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store