new 10g nano/live rock question

neonmadness

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
earth
Im starting a 10g project that i hope will eventually house a mandarin (i know this is controversial) using the method josh day uses (see here: http://joshday.com/mandaringoby.htm) so, heres my question: if i buy some base rock and one or two pieces of live rock, around how long should it take for the base rock to become seeded and become live rock?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
neonmadness;4275967; said:
Im starting a 10g project that i hope will eventually house a mandarin (i know this is controversial) using the method josh day uses (see here: http://joshday.com/mandaringoby.htm) so, heres my question: if i buy some base rock and one or two pieces of live rock, around how long should it take for the base rock to become seeded and become live rock?

I dont like the idea of keeping a Mandarin in a 10.... but that wasnt your question.

There is no way to answer your question with 100% certainty. Get some salifert test kits and observe the cycle. It took about 6 weeks on my 10 gal to get it to cycle to a point where I was comfortable with adding fish. And since your doing a ten gallon, keep a sharp eye on everything, it doesnt take long for something to get out of wack.

He has an interesting technique that may work.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Your putting a mandrin in what?!?!?... Sorry good luck your going to need it, as for cycling it really depends on alot of things, if the live rock is in good condition it should be quick, if its not then it can take a wile, due to huge die out of the rocks live critters producing ammonia. I suppose its doable, and it has nothing to do with water parms as I could keep a emperor angel in a 10 gal (waste production wise I mean haha I would never do it) and still have filtration to spare.

I'm just concerned about feeding... but from a brief skim of the link it seems like you intend to culture the pods outside the tank? If so go for it! I'm a huge advocate of culturing live foods, and if you can produce enough no reason why it wouldn't work, no gurentee it will ween off though. Personaly I would still think more swimming room would be nice for the fish but with outside food imput its doable.

The1and only

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
San Diego
I would also go with a over head algae turf scrubber to produce cocopods for your tank. I put one on my 60 gallon reef when I was up grading from a 7 gallon nano and have not done a single water change from day 1 and it is 6 weeks in with good results. Cocopod production is good but it takes time I would wait at least 6 months before adding the mandrin.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
The1and only;4276571; said:
I would also go with a over head algae turf scrubber to produce cocopods for your tank. I put one on my 60 gallon reef when I was up grading from a 7 gallon nano and have not done a single water change from day 1 and it is 6 weeks in with good results. Cocopod production is good but it takes time I would wait at least 6 months before adding the mandrin.
That is amazing.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Kevin8888;4276687; said:
Thats the power of a good scrubber keeps those bad parms 0 not just near 0!
I am suspending a scrubber over my refugium in the sump I am building. I hope to post pictures once its done.

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Some advice take it or not get a mantis shrimp instead good for your tank size and cool fish

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
fishy12;4276883; said:
Some advice take it or not get a mantis shrimp instead good for your tank size and cool fish
:grinno:

your kidding right?

Not trying to be a jerk, but mantis shrimp can get pretty big.

But...... he would be easier to feed.

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Heathd;4276943; said:
:grinno:

your kidding right?

Not trying to be a jerk, but mantis shrimp can get pretty big.

But...... he would be easier to feed.
I didn't say peacock mantis there are plenty of smaller species you just have to look more to find them... Everyone assumes giant peacocks when you say mantis shrimp... its ok tho

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store