Reef safe eels?

Gprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Ottawa
Was wondering if there are any? Are the different ribbon eels (blue/white aka ghost/ or black) reef safe? If so, how hard are they to take care of?

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
garden eel is the only one I would say is truely safe (except the occational small shrimp), as they eat copepods though that makes feeding them difficult. Ribbon eels are sorta reef safe... but they will eat small fish and as far as i know, will also eat inverts. I hear Golden Dwarf Moray Eels are good, as they cant eat much (due to their small size something like 6-12 inch), I also hear pebble tooth morays are good as well if you dont care about inverts.

RoastReef

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
San Martin, CA
I kept a zebra eel in my reef for years with no issues. It was a mixed reef and I had clams. The only inverts I kept were snails, hermits, and cleaner shrimp. The cleaner shrimp would actually clean inside it's mouth. One big issue is the bio-load they put on your tank.

Gprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Ottawa
damn was wanting a ribbon eel but i like my inverts to keep my tank nice and clean =P and yeah bio-load on an eel is an issue too =P oh well maybe some day, thanks guys.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
It's possible you would be ok with a ribbon, but the problem is that they can be tricky food wise. I've heard more then a few stories of people who have had issues with getting them to eat anything other then live foods.

I know the feeling, I'm thinking of getting a few of the dwarf morays when I set up my monster 1000gal reef, as the only inverts, other then snails, will be cleaner shrimp as they "tend" to be safe from preds.

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
wait your getting golden dwarf morays? that would cost a lot and idk how you found anyone who sells them

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
fishy12;4283746; said:
wait your getting golden dwarf morays? that would cost a lot and idk how you found anyone who sells them
LOL not for a few years, and I know a Canadian retailer that sells them for around 150-200$ though he only ships localy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store