Gar Quiz - the return - ID the fish

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
we've been raising a variety of specimens recently and so i thought i would open up a new gar quiz. if you make a guess, please explain your reasoning so that we can all learn!

here you go (see attached) --
--solomon

ILG 1wm.jpg

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
tail and snout point tword osseus but im not 100% on that.

u wouldnt make it that easy. lol

ill go study and be back!!

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
I think I know what it is solely based on some conversations of ours a couple of months ago. I'm going to keep my answer to myself as it would ruin the quiz. :)

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Madding;4284230; said:
I think I know what it is solely based on some conversations of ours a couple of months ago. I'm going to keep my answer to myself as it would ruin the quiz. :)
haha it's possible, although we have discussed quite a bit. i'd say feel free to answer, just give your reasoning for the ID...we'll see what everyone else has to say too.

one minor clue is that one can guess that it's a YOY fish as it still has the tail filament...if that helps!--
--solomon

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I would have guessed Florida but it looks like the snout is a bit longer that a typical Florida. Some sort of cross?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
some good thoughts on characteristics to check out so far...be sure and check out the gar section in primitivefishes.com and other references for comparison. it's not an easy ID, i'll give you all that much :) --
--solomon

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
my vote is for a trop or a croc II...snout/ face structure is to fat for a fl or any of that family, but the overall jaw and face structure seems to "thin" to be croc I, croc III, or gator...i don't think it is a cuban cause the snout seems to long...

overall i am leaning tward a tropical

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store