Saltwater Fish Breeding

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Guys,

Curious if anyone breeds saltwater fish, because I have a spare cycled 20 gallon tank sitting in my in home office. Then I have the main tank out in the hallway. I was thinking about breeding some type of saltwater....for fun.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
hmmm.... The easiest to get to spawn, succesfully, would be clowns. But their off spring is a bit difficult to raise. You would need a fuge with lots of rotifers and copepods.

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
clowns and kaudern cardinals have been known to breed n captivity

Id say you could make more out of rarer clowns

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
A few spiecies are easily bred (assuming they want to partener up which isnt always true), the difficulty/expence is raising or buying the food for their young, as they eat rediculus ammounts of live foods (even for their small size, this is because they are growing of course haha).

The one that is not nessisarily the easiest but at the very least has the most information availible for techniques is the clownfish as others have stated. But breeding isn't the same as fresh water, it's a demanding time consuming task that takes around a month of carefull wating and maintiance for one hatch of clowns, and by the time that is finished the process will start again with a new hatch. So don't just jump in do the research and see if you are really willing to take the effort. In the mean time PM me if you want more info I have a few good links that I could give you if your interested.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
You can hatch brine shrimp in a clean two liter bottle.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Heathd;4286689; said:
You can hatch brine shrimp in a clean two liter bottle.
problem is brine shrimp are rather worthless nutritionaly even when newly hatched, so I've seen many arguements against using them, but even so they can be done cheaply/easily and they will work, just not as well as other feeds.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Kevin8888;4286909; said:
problem is brine shrimp are rather worthless nutritionaly even when newly hatched, so I've seen many arguements against using them, but even so they can be done cheaply/easily and they will work, just not as well as other feeds.
Oh I agree, BBS suck. If that wasnt the case, there wouldnt be a need for vitamin enriched brine shrimp, nor the reccomendation by fish mongers.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
thanks guys, well I'm gonna do some research on specific clowns, your advice are all appreciated. Kevin888 I'll pm you...

BMW540

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
North Carolina
I know that I'm a little late chiming in but feeding the babies rotifers is the best option. Just make your own culture of phytoplankton to keep raising the rotifers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store