clown fish spawning/nest/eggs?

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
can they spwan on a vertical ledge?

what would the nest look like?

my pair of teardrop ocells are cleaning and convulsing on a rock, and the female looks gravid, but the area is on a vertical section...i don't know if the eggs will stick to it or what will happen...if they don't stick they will fall into a spiky dead coral and then into the sleeper golbies den...i don't want to rotate the rock so the area they selected is flat as i don't want to disrupt them...but at the same time i do cause i don't want the eggs to be golby snacks...

also if i get a successfull spawn and manage to raise the fry would they be teardrops, reg ocells or a mix of them...as both parents are teardrops, i ask cause, i think the teardrop is like a submissive trate, but idk...

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
If they are cleaning, then that means they are trying to spawn. I dont think they can lay eggs on a vertical surface though.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
If you are actually wanting to raise them, I would put a ceramic tile next to their spawning site, after they spawn this time. Once they become a mated pair, they should spawn like clock work

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Heathd;4287875; said:
If you are actually wanting to raise them, I would put a ceramic tile next to their spawning site, after they spawn this time. Once they become a mated pair, they should spawn like clock work
what would the tile do? unless you are refering to giving them a 'shelf' to spawn on then i got ya...the only thing that puts a monkey wrench into things is the fact that i am moving on the 29th of this month so things will get disrupted...i have disrupted them 4 times in the past as i didn't see the signs...then after some breeding research i found out they were 'preping'...i still need some more info on the whole deal as i want to get the fry factory going...

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
These fry will die, I'm sorry to say, if you wheren't ready for them before you noticed the preping then you wont be able to get ready soon enough to keep them alive.

But on the other side, the tile is so you can remove the eggs from the tank so as to allow you to keep them safe, as to where/what they can lay their eggs on I can't say its impossible to lay on a vertical because I'm pretty sure I've seen their eggs layed on a wall of an aquarium. The eggs will look whitish-silvery likely thought I've seen other tints of colours depending on the adults diet.

If you really want to raise clownfish you have to be rather dedicated, as its a over a month long process and they are extreamly delicate and demanding food wise. PM me if you want more info on raising their young.

Twixy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2009
Buckingham
Tend to find that they will spawn on vertical surfaces in preference of flat surfaces, easier to guard. Clutches of eggs begin being yellow usually a hundred or so eggs, developing into a more white colour as the fish develops. Once the spawn site is prepared you'll probably find they will lay a clutch every few weeks or so.
Hope this helps

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Kevin8888;4288210; said:
These fry will die, I'm sorry to say, if you wheren't ready for them before you noticed the preping then you wont be able to get ready soon enough to keep them alive.

But on the other side, the tile is so you can remove the eggs from the tank so as to allow you to keep them safe, as to where/what they can lay their eggs on I can't say its impossible to lay on a vertical because I'm pretty sure I've seen their eggs layed on a wall of an aquarium. The eggs will look whitish-silvery likely thought I've seen other tints of colours depending on the adults diet.

If you really want to raise clownfish you have to be rather dedicated, as its a over a month long process and they are extreamly delicate and demanding food wise. PM me if you want more info on raising their young.
+1 For fish einstein

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Kevin8888;4288210; said:

i expect this round and maybe the first few to be epic fails on my part as i am moving, not ready to seperate them as i only have one salt setup (right now), not ready with the food they will need to eat...i know some about them and also that alot die during the molt as i have been reading some info on breeding them...i will pm you after i am settled and can start getting ready to take on the fry...

Twixy;4288697; said:
Tend to find that they will spawn on vertical surfaces in preference of flat surfaces, easier to guard. Clutches of eggs begin being yellow usually a hundred or so eggs, developing into a more white colour as the fish develops. Once the spawn site is prepared you'll probably find they will lay a clutch every few weeks or so.
Hope this helps
thanx for the info...

anyone know about the teardrop being passed on to some or all of the possible fry?

also if they will keep the same rock after i move them or will it start all over again with the selection?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
sbuse;4288937; said:
i expect this round and maybe the first few to be epic fails on my part as i am moving, not ready to seperate them as i only have one salt setup (right now), not ready with the food they will need to eat...i know some about them and also that alot die during the molt as i have been reading some info on breeding them...i will pm you after i am settled and can start getting ready to take on the fry...

thanx for the info...

anyone know about the teardrop being passed on to some or all of the possible fry?

also if they will keep the same rock after i move them or will it start all over again with the selection?
If its a passive trait, then you could (in an extreme case) have all your little fry end up with this trait, and on the other side of tracks, expect that none of them end up with this trait.

Its genetics, and imo, all bets are off when you start talking about chances. There are people out there where both the parents have the same defective chromosome in their gene pool, but none of their 4 children have it. There have also been parents who had a 1 in 4 chance of having a second child with progeria, they decide to go for it, and end up with two kids who have progeria.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store