29 Biocube Stocking Help - Overstocked?

Deepsouth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Montgomery, Alabama
I have a 29 biocube that is setup with live sand and 30lbs of live rock. I want to have a coral and fish tank, but I dont want it overstocked. Do you think this will be overstocked.

1 Clownfish
1 Atlantic Pygmy Angel
1 Bicolor Blenny
1 Kupang Damsel
1 cleaner shrimp

I'm a bit worried about this being too many fish. I'm also torn on only having one clownfish. I'm sure he/she would like a mate. Let me know what you think?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Deepsouth;4293973; said:
I have a 29 biocube that is setup with live sand and 30lbs of live rock. I want to have a coral and fish tank, but I dont want it overstocked. Do you think this will be overstocked.

1 Clownfish
1 Atlantic Pygmy Angel
1 Bicolor Blenny
1 Kupang Damsel
1 cleaner shrimp

I'm a bit worried about this being too many fish. I'm also torn on only having one clownfish. I'm sure he/she would like a mate. Let me know what you think?
I think you are ok if it was a FOWLR only, but overstocked if you want to do corals.

I would get rid of the angel since it might have the tendency to nip at corals. I can't believe that a damsel are and a clown are getting along either. Adding another clown at this point may be a bad idea, since they could get into it. If you have the intent to breed or just have a mated pair, you really need to introduce them while they are young at the same time.

If it were me, I would keep the cleaner shrimp, clown, and blenny.

Thats just me though.

Deepsouth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Montgomery, Alabama
The Kapunga is supposed to be one of the calmest of the Damsels, but I haven't had him long. I haven't added any other fish yet. The only fish in the tank is the Damsel. There were quite a few of these Damsels in with clownfish at the store and they were getting along fine then. This Damsel is tiny. I will get a clown that is larger than the Damsel just in case. I was kind of thinking about just getting an angel and the shrimp to keep it way understocked. Adding the clown really means that I should probably add 2 which is a tad more fish than I want in their. I could drop the Blenny, but they are good cleaners and usually will stay in the areas the other fish dont inhabitate.

sprayin70

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2006
ga
shua71;4294104; said:
Get rid of the damsel. Those things become trouble
I agree. With a reef tank I have seen lots of fish and corals in a relatively small aquarium. The secret is to have good bio and mechanical filtration. If you aren't using a skimmer then I would do weekly water changes and keep up on the water prams.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Deepsouth;4294365; said:
The Kapunga is supposed to be one of the calmest of the Damsels, but I haven't had him long. I haven't added any other fish yet. The only fish in the tank is the Damsel. There were quite a few of these Damsels in with clownfish at the store and they were getting along fine then. This Damsel is tiny. I will get a clown that is larger than the Damsel just in case. I was kind of thinking about just getting an angel and the shrimp to keep it way understocked. Adding the clown really means that I should probably add 2 which is a tad more fish than I want in their. I could drop the Blenny, but they are good cleaners and usually will stay in the areas the other fish dont inhabitate.
hermits are much better than blennies for cleaning up

also i find clownfish are way more aggressive than damsels.. Damsels are aggressive, but i think everyone forgets how small they are. Attitude still gets its ass kicked...

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
TheCanuck;4295361; said:

also i find clownfish are way more aggressive than damsels.. Damsels are aggressive, but i think everyone forgets how small they are. Attitude still gets its ass kicked...
True, im just saying that Damsels and Clowns typically dont get along.

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
TheCanuck;4295361; said:

From experience, I had a damsel that was half the size of my maroon and somehow became larger. He completely ate 2 cleaner shrimps and a peppermint. These guys grow extremely fast due to how quick they are to reach food and become extremely territorial. I've had a velvet damsel which was very docile so I think it comes down more to the fish itself rather than the breed

Deepsouth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Montgomery, Alabama
My wife ended up picking out 2 clowns today. They all get along great. I'm almost positive that the kapanga aren't as aggressive as the rest of the Damsels. I was watching them in the tanks and they were the only damsels that didn't seem aggressive. The blue devils and the black ones were aggressive. The fish are all getting along great, but I will give it a few days before having a better idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store