Macro Vs. Micro

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
What are the pro's and con's of each? I am to the point where I would add the ATS to the sump, but if I can avoid any extra work and just do a macro, I will.

And complications of doing both?

I am sick and tired of having red slime and algae in my tank :irked:. I think a Macro/Micro setup with the RO/DI unit I have coming will pretty much eliminate my current issue.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Well I have to say that RO/DI water wont really change anything algae wise, becase its already in your tank, and if you add any new stock it will bring some with it, so its always going to be there. But with Scrubbers and macros the amount showing up in you display will be greatly reduced.

So which is better? Scrubbers. Which is easier to set up? Macros. Can you do both? Yes no reason not to, I do both so I can have fresh macros to feed my tangs. Only complication of doing both is space, as scrubber is as scrubber (I assume you know what goes on with them) and macros just chill in the sump under a light.

Pros are the same, reduced algae in desplay, and some pod production which fish/corals will eat. Cons are almost the same, scrubbers you need alot more flow so often need to use a pump, and they need to be cleaned once a week or more, cons of macros is they need to be trimmed and aren't as effective at removing waste as scrubbers.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Guess I will do both and go with some chaeto for the macro. Chaeto is cheap and seems to grow fast if the light and nutrients are right.

REEF2REEF

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2010
Ga
www.reef2reef.com
But if the current water you are using has high TDS then that will definitely contribute to the slime algae. Also do you run a skimmer on your system, how often do you feed, and what are you using for flow?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
REEF2REEF;4296021; said:
But if the current water you are using has high TDS then that will definitely contribute to the slime algae. Also do you run a skimmer on your system, how often do you feed, and what are you using for flow?
The tap here doesnt taste bad, but I am sure its bad as far as aquarium water goes.

I have to power heads, with unknown flow rate since I got the 55 and all the goodies for free.

I have a skimmer.

I feed once a day alternating between pellets, flake, and frozen. I have two peppermint shrimp, a cleaner shrimp, two juvenile clowns, and a few snails/ hermit crabs.

REEF2REEF

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2010
Ga
www.reef2reef.com
Well most tap water is high in TDS and that can cause algae problems. While maintaining an aquarium can be done using tap it is better to use filtered water from an RO/DI unit like your getting. This could be you issues. You can purchase a cheap TDS meter in the range of $10-$15 if you want to see for sure if that is part of your problem.

Also what skimmer are you using?
How many fish and what kinds do you have in the tank?

:)

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
REEF2REEF;4296061; said:
Well most tap water is high in TDS and that can cause algae problems. While maintaining an aquarium can be done using tap it is better to use filtered water from an RO/DI unit like your getting. This could be you issues. You can purchase a cheap TDS meter in the range of $10-$15 if you want to see for sure if that is part of your problem.

Also what skimmer are you using?
How many fish and what kinds do you have in the tank?

:)
The stock is listed in the previous post, its not much.

The skimmer? Again, dunno, for me to read it would require me to putt it off the back of the tank.

I have a RODI unit coming with TDS meters from the filter guys, should be here monday.

I am currently setting up an empty 75 I have in the garage. I doing a diy 30 gallon sump with an ATS. I plan on throwing in some rubble rock in there. 700 gallon glass holes overflow kit, and I am still undecided on what I am doing for the return pump. I just got my top off kit and pump, and I need to buy a water storage container for it. I will be building a new stand for the 75 because what I have now is ugly. Power heads are getting replaced, but I am still undecided.

DIY led light fixture in the future, but current 4 t5 fixture for now.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
REEF2REEF;4296097; said:
Sounds like a plan!

If your not worried about heat I would just use a MAG pump. That is what I used on an old 75 I used to have.
Yea I have heard really good things about mags, but heat is a bit of an issue too. Im going the way of LEDs to try and cut down on it, and Im not too keen on the cost of a chiller.

Other then the mag, what else would you recommend? :D

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
REEF2REEF;4296097; said:
Sounds like a plan!

If your not worried about heat I would just use a MAG pump. That is what I used on an old 75 I used to have.
Hey R2R...this is kingfisherfleshy of R2R...who are you?

That being said...many saltwater macros are actually intolerant of poor water conditions and will grow slowly if there are lots of phosphates in the water. So macro wont help you as much as a scrubber with the hair algae in my mind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store